Duck bedding?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
I'm curious how much you think duck bedding affects their laying ability?

I'd not thought this affected things earlier because when I tried to get the ducks to sleep in a chicken coop with a roof they avoided it. They even seemed afraid of it (LOL). And I think they still are afraid of it. They clearly seem to like open ground especially where there's lots of brush to hide in.

Anyway, I have wondered if bedding matters for if they are laying eggs? Like putting sawdust out or wood chips somewhere in the bushes? And if it matters how wet the ground is?

I am trying to figure out why my ducks don't lay still. Tried lots of stuff. Its not easy to get them to lay when they stop it seems.

How high up is the coop?
With most ducks you have to make go to bed. If you are leaving them out under a bush, are they safe from predators?
Ducks also don't sleep like chickens they are more active at night.

I leave my ducks out at night. My yard is fenced and there's little threat from predators. They are very active at night, I think it is because our days are very hot. I will build shelter for them before it gets cold here.

Our back yard is also fenced, opaque fencing wood all around. So they are cut off in a very safe area. Safe from predators. But there are dogs on the other sides of 2 of the fences, though they can't see each other. Its pretty quiet also.

Just can't figure out why so few eggs.

The coop we have is external with a roof but the sides are just chain link fence. Was a dog pen years ago.

They prefer the bushes over the dog/duck pen.

Our back yard is also fenced, opaque fencing wood all around. So they are cut off in a very safe area. Safe from predators. But there are dogs on the other sides of 2 of the fences, though they can't see each other. Its pretty quiet also.

The coop we have is external with a roof but the sides are just chain link fence. Was a dog pen years ago.

How long have you had your ducks and how old are they? What breed?

I'm curious how much you think duck bedding affects their laying ability?

I'd not thought this affected things earlier because when I tried to get the ducks to sleep in a chicken coop with a roof they avoided it. They even seemed afraid of it (LOL). And I think they still are afraid of it. They clearly seem to like open ground especially where there's lots of brush to hide in.

Anyway, I have wondered if bedding matters for if they are laying eggs? Like putting sawdust out or wood chips somewhere in the bushes? And if it matters how wet the ground is?

I am trying to figure out why my ducks don't lay still. Tried lots of stuff. Its not easy to get them to lay when they stop it seems.
Our ducks make their nests in hay. Our ducks like really sheltered places where its hard to find them. My ducks also will dig in soft dirt to make nests.

As the day light hours get shorter, the laying season for ducks (and other poultry) ends. An exception might be for birds that were born that spring and just came into laying. Ducks tend to lay their eggs wherever they please. A few might use the hay or other bedding, but most won't.

So do ours. Every morning is a Easter egg hunt. Lol

Back
Top Bottom