Duck Behavior questions & observations

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
There are a few things I wanted to ask about. They feel quite interesting to me, and probably to you also.

First, what makes the ducks decide to move locations in the yard for grazing? By this it seems like they always go together and never (well almost never) alone. It seems like one of them has to decide it first. I wondered if its always the same duck that decides when to move? Is it the lead duck? And what determines who/what the lead duck is? Is the lead duck gender oriented? Or can any one of them decide to change spots?

Second, there seems to be 2 methods of duck herding? Am I getting this right? (See below)

In one method, the bond between the farmer/owner is just really strong and he calls out to the ducks to go into the pens at night, ((and to leave the pens in the mornings), also she is possible). This seems pretty reliable. Like today when I went out in the evening the ducks thought it was time to get food and go in the pen, even though I wasn't actually there to feed them yet. So they hurriedly ran into the pen excitedly. (I actually wasn't ready to feed them for another half hour lol.) So after a few seconds...they figured out I wasn't there to feed them and they ran back out to enjoy the yard some more.

The other method I'm seeing for duck herding people just hold out two big sticks, one in each hand and sort of try to steer them towards where they are going.

I wanted to ask about the pros and cons of comparing them and what you thought? Is the second method as reliable as the first or vice versa?

The third thing that's very interesting to me is about just the ducks watching us. When I go out in the yard to read a book and sit by them, eventually they calm down and then come and sit around me. I'm surprised by how close they'll get to me, as long as I don't make any sudden moves or try to touch or grab them. They don't quite trust me enough to pick them up, but they will be right next to me, and even test if my shoelaces are actually worms with their beaks.

When doing this behavior of flocking around me while I'm reading something, often one of them will every once in awhile cock his or her head to the side and be eyeing me funny. But then tonight when I'm on Youtube I hear people saying they'll do a one look with head cocked at an angle also when watching out for predators. I wanted to ask about this behavior of when they watch you with their head cocked at an angle and what you think about it? Is it a sign of intelligence? What do you think it means?

Well thanks.

What breeds do you have? Mine are muscovy, which I think are smarter. :)

The head cocking is almost always looking at a bird flying above. I always look up and can usually spot one.

Only the ducks know who decides where they go and why.

As far as herding or calling it all depends on the relationship and what you are trying to do. I generally only herd my ducks when I need to catch one.

Back
Top Bottom