Duck behaviors...

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So...I noticed a few things that are kind of interesting to bring up. In this video and in my own observations it looks like while the ducks feed, at least 1 or 2 in the herd aren't feeding and looking around.

(Around 30 seconds in...)

And I see this with ducklings.

Is it accidental or is it their brains, instinct telling them to always have a watch while the others feed?

It brings up a lot of fun questions also.

Plus, when the ducks 'duck' their heads under water, I'd wondered how much of that is play and how much is actually cooling of, compared to cleaning? I'm not saying it can't be a mix of those three together. But when you look up duck anatomy it says their average body temperature is a whopping 107.5! (That's amazing!) But if their body temperature is that high, then maybe some of their behavior is just trying to cool down...or maybe still play? I don't know... I guess I'm going in circles now.

What do you think?

Do they have sentries in the herd? And do all types have a duck leader in a herd?

Mine always have a sentry. I think they just enjoy dabbling in the water, though mine do like a shower with the hose in summer and trying to catch the spray in their mouths.

That's quite interesting. I'm going to keep watching on this idea and let you know what I see. If there was a sentry it would be interesting to know. Honeybees have guards and work together...so I don't think it would be impossible if other animals had sentries too.

This is so interesting! Sentries is an intelligent behavior of organization. To think animals would do this has surprised me.

With my ducklings, I first noticed its usually this one particular that sounds the alarm, often at the wrong times. It was different kind of 'squeak' (not quite a quack yet) than the others with at least 3 sharper squeaks in a row or more, sometimes longer, and then running about; which freaks out the others. (It was also the smallest.)

Hi all, Sorry about joining in late on this subject... but, the duck Bill and his Saxony 6 seem to settle down after forgageing and one of them has their head up looking aroung. The others sit facing in seemingly random directions. Even so, all duck eyes cover the entire 360 degrees so nothing can sneek up on them. If I come around the corner, the first one to see me squawks and they all take a look in my direction.

Back
Top Bottom