DUCK BILL MISSING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I understand this and realize that they could be worse off or dead. But, from what I found they are basically "sitting ducks" as is. There is no protection offered for them. They have just been removed from one situation to another.
As stated, most state parks focus on naturalization - domestic ducks do not fit into that category.
They can certainly be seen as "sitting ducks", but you may be surprised how many ducks and geese live for years and years in such parks and do okay, even without shelter. They have lots of freedom, and people, especially children, do enjoy seeing and feeding them. They MUST be kept properly fed, though, not totally dependent on handouts from visitors.

Yes, most state parks will get rid of them as soon as they are spotted, when tourists aren't around. The thing is, when you want to get the situation to end, those birds, who are living in the park at the current time, may be killed or end up in much worst places.

See, that's the really hard thing to accept and deal with when you have been seeing and caring for the birds for so long, and there has been no disease outbreak, or anything else catastrophic . Of course, in the long run it's for the best no domestics waterfowl live in parks, but the final solution can be very, very painful.

I’m sorry one minute you’re telling OP to be mature and in the same breath you’re telling them to just steal the duck if they are not willingly given the duck. I know this is over animal welfare but don’t children just snatch things when they are told ‘no’?

If someone provides tons of context in the first post a common reaction is TL;DR but when they don’t it’s ‘not enough information’...

This is the most childish post in the whole thread. You just lost your credibility by sinking to what you believe is their level.
problem is solved

Last edited:
They can certainly be seen as "sitting ducks", but you may be surprised how many ducks and geese live for years and years in such parks and do okay, even without shelter. They have lots of freedom, and people, especially children, do enjoy seeing and feeding them. They MUST be kept properly fed, though, not totally dependent on handouts from visitors.
Yes, most state parks will get rid of them as soon as they are spotted, when tourists aren't around. The thing is, when you want to get the situation to end, those birds, who are living in the park at the current time, may be killed or end up in much worst places.

See, that's the really hard thing to accept and deal with when you have been seeing and caring for the birds for so long, and there has been no disease outbreak, or anything else catastrophic . Of course, in the long run it's for the best no domestics waterfowl live in parks, but the final solution can be very, very painful.
I'm against dumping ducks there is no reason for it. Period. I follow many rescues and dumping animals is an ugly heartless thing. I've seen what happens to dumped waterfowl - they don't live out their life happily.
If no longer wanted, there are plenty who would take it for a food source. People just don't want to think on those terms either. If I could no longer keep my ducks as pets, they would become a food source for my family or another.

what is OP, TL AND DR anyway. yes I am crying myself to sleep too. NOBODY is a winner in this situation.
OP is the Original Poster (you). TL;DR is what lazy people say if your post was ‘Too Long; Didn’t Read’ especially if they argued you didn’t provide enough information to begin with. What I was saying was that you often can’t win on forums. Say too much and people gloss over the information, say too little people think you are withholding information to change the narrative.

I’m sorry one minute you’re telling OP to be mature and in the same breath you’re telling them to just steal the duck if they are not willingly given the duck. I know this is over animal welfare but don’t children just snatch things when they are told ‘no’?

If someone provides tons of context in the first post a common reaction is TL;DR but when they don’t it’s ‘not enough information’...

This is the most childish post in the whole thread. You just lost your credibility by sinking to what you believe is their level.
I know people who have taken various animals out of abusive situations, even dogs. They weren't childish type acts, and I'm not justifying swiping animals. It also can be illegal. But the animals thrived in their new environments, when they most certainly did not in their old ones, where they may have ended up dying badly.

I don't know what "Tl;DR means. OP left out very important info in her long posts, including her past relationship to the park lady.

If you wish to see my comment about crying myself to sleep as childish, be my guest. It was meant to be sarcastic, since OP is acting like a victimized child, instead of carrying on with a critical conversation. There's too much of that on the internet, too many individuals crying they are being "disrespected" or victimized when the conversations aren't going how they want. They even try to get moderators to delete comments, or entire threads, to delete words they don't want to read. Critical thinking, writing and debating is not being taught in schools like it once was. Instead, kids are being taught they must at all times be hypervigilant that no one is "disrespecting" them.

P.S. I read all the OP's post more than once. She left out much pertinent info, but I am not saying that was wrong. I am saying it certainly could lead to much confusion about what is actually going on between her and the park lady.

Last edited:
I'm against dumping ducks there is no reason for it. Period. I follow many rescues and dumping animals is an ugly heartless thing. I've seen what happens to dumped waterfowl - they don't live out their life happily.
If no longer wanted, there are plenty who would take it for a food source. People just don't want to think on those terms either. If I could no longer keep my ducks as pets, they would become a food source for my family or another.
I am against dumping animals, too, including domestic ducks and geese. (In fact, I finally stopped the local SPCA from dumping geese in a city park. They certainly weren't providing any food for them.) But if the birds are there, they are there.

I must disagree--I took care of dumped waterfowl for over 25 years in a city park, and many did happily live out their lives. It was far more challenging than the captive life, but they had far more freedom to live how they wanted to live. Also, I couldn't imagine for a minute any of them being turned into food for humans, even though I'm not a vegetarian. I just couldn't. If they were killed by predators or each other, that was life . . . but not if they were killed by people.

Last edited:
I know people who have taken various animals out of abusive situations, even dogs. They weren't childish type acts, and I'm not justifying swiping animals. It also can be illegal. But the animals thrived in their new environments, when they most certainly did not in their old ones, where they may have ended up dying badly.

I don't know what "Tl;DR means. OP left out very important info in her long posts, including her past relationship to the park lady.

If you wish to see my comment about crying myself to sleep as childish, be my guest. It was meant to be sarcastic, since OP is acting like a victimizing child, instead of carrying on with a critical conversation. There's too much of that on the internet, too many individuals crying they are being "disrespected" or victimized when the conversations aren't going how they want. They even try to get moderators to delete comments, or entire threads, to delete words they don't want to read. Critical thinking, writing and debating is not being taught in schools like it once was. Instead, kids are being taught they must at all times be hypervigilant that no one is "disrespecting" them.

P.S. I read all the OP's post more than once. She left out much pertinent info, but I am not saying that was wrong. I am saying it certainly could lead to much confusion about what is actually going on between her and the park lady.
Yes, resorting to sarcasm whilst criticising the maturity level is childish. Seeing as you want to bring ageism and ‘my generation...’ into this, I smell ‘boomer’ hypocrisy. Accountability doesn’t just go for one age group and not the other.

TL:DR means Too Long; Didn’t Read. Unfortunately it is very common onnforums to receive that sort of response when presenting an argument andnsomeone actually provides a decent chunk of information. It tends to fall on deaf ears. This depends on the board culture and demographic but it would h worth bearing in mind that most people operate under the assumption that others want them to keep communication concise. I have been more often criticised for writing an essay that for constructing a detailed argument, so you have a point there on the quality of discussions going downhill.

I say keep the ‘offensive’ comments upon any case, however so others can see both sides of the argument and draw their own conclusions. Asking for posts to be deleted would be influencing the narrative so I’m against that form of censorship and Agee with you there. Like pretending racist relics of the past didn’t ever exist doesn’t teach anyone any new lessons.

This is not my argument and you are no longer able to engage with OP due to them having you on Ignore, so going to respectfully step away.

Thanks for more clarifying information. This matter could be taken to various places--ASPCA, local SPCA, Kentucky's Dept. of Agriculture, PETA, newspapers, etc. You have to keep in mind, though, if the domestics must leave the park, they could end up in far worst places or killed, especially crippled ones. Many state parks don't even allow domestic ducks to live there, for fear of diseases. When dumped, they are killed.
Not PETA. Not a helpful organization, unforrunately.

I am against dumping animals, too, including domestic ducks and geese. (In fact, I finally stopped the local SPCA from dumping geese in a city park. They certainly weren't providing any food for them.) But if the birds are there, they are there. I must disagree--I took care of dumped waterfowl for over 25 years in a city park, and many did happily live out their lives. It was far more challenging than the non-captive life, but they had far more freedom to live how they wanted to live. Also, I couldn't imagine for a minute any of them being turned into food for humans, even though I'm not a vegetarian. I just couldn't. If they were killed by predators or each other, that was life . . . but not if they were killed by people.
You can disagree. I'm sure the duck/waterfowl rescues that I follow would disagree with your perspective as far as the waterfowl living out a wonderful life. A great read from the rescue: http://www.michiganduckrescueandsanctuary.com/domestic-ducks-do-not-belong-in-the-wild/

Many people on BYC raise ducks for food. It doesn't work for me to do so. But, if I were no longer able to care for my fowl and I could not find them a home - the last option would be a food source. That is my opinion and we can agree to differ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom