Duck box ideas!What do you use? Pics Please :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by VioletBlueIvy, Feb 20, 2014.

1. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    :frow Hello duck people! I have had ducks for a few years now, and am expanding my duck population so I want to build an awesome duck coop this spring, and I need ideas for nests. My Khaki's will lay in one of my chickens nest boxes, but the Pekins lay on the ground or in the coop wherever they decide to make a nest. I really don't mind much, but they always lay at night and in the winter eggs on the ground or the floor are frozen in minutes. I have lost soooo many eggs that way :th It also encourages the chickens to lay on the floor, the little usurpers will lay anywhere they find someone else laying :rolleyes: And of course there is the poop factor associated with laying on the floor... :sick

Anyway I cannot find anything online about nests for ducks, except duck boxes for wild ducks. I did read somewhere that they love lawnmower collection bags!

I would LOVE to see what other duck owners use if you wouldn't mind sharing! Any thoughts or ideas you may have that have yet to be implemented are also welcome! Lets brainstorm! :old

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

To reduce to chicken poop on the floor.... Poop trays! LOVE THEM.

To reduce the duck poop. IDK, I haven't figured that out yet. :confused:

I have a box on the ground floor that the ducks lay in. They like to burry their eggs, which makes them hard to find. To keep it clean I just have to keep tossing down more clean bedding. Luckily mine only use the nest box to lay, they don't sleep in it.

My ducks and chickens are separate though.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-coop-journey

3. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010

I have poop boards too! Wow what a difference it makes! Especially in the winter, I lay down empty feed bags on mine so that even when it freezes I can easily clean the coop. no more four months of poop to clean out in the spring!

I think with them moving to their own coop, I wont have as much of a poop problem. I tried to get them to live in a nice big insulated doghouse I redid for them. Nope they like the coop better so I guess they have to have their own!

4. Alaskan

Yep, I have decided that that is what I wanna do..,.

Line the poop trays with feed sacks in the winter.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Honestly, no answer most of my ducks like to lay in their barn but i have had some rather interesting places they decided upon trying. I don't have nest boxes, i do not feel for one second it would encourage them to lay there nor would they consistently use them.

6. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    you can get some of those blue bens from walmart take the lid off in and put hay it and bam they will make a nest in it ohh ya you have to cut a hole in it for them to get in when you take the lid off it put the end where the lid was facing to the ground i find this works better

7. MightyDucksVT

MightyDucksVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    St.Johnsbury, VT
    Can someone explain poop trays to me? I'm building a "duck den" in the Spring and I want to find the best option for all that [​IMG]... Thanks!

8. Alaskan

I love poop trays... But I can't figure out how to use it with my ducks.

Dunno

9. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    I have boards under the chickens roosts that catch the droppings. It keeps the coop much cleaner longer since most of the pooping is done overnight. Plus it is really easy to clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by