duck breed pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChiknNuggets, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ChiknNuggets

ChiknNuggets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Is there a website that list all the pros and cons for each duck breed? I just purchased two mallards. They are apapproximately 3 days old and are the most skittish/nervous poultry I've ever owned. I'm considering rehoming them if they are not able to warm up to me. These little guys will not let me hold them or pet them. If I approach their brooder they run away. My quail are extremely friendly and social. They will let me hold them and even fall asleep in my hand. They also follow me in the yard. I put one of the older quail chicks with the mallards and they seem to be not as nervous as they were before, but still won't approach me. I've always loved ducks, but I don't think I can keep an animal that wants nothing to do with me or people.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    mallards are a very skittish breed. They are beautiful when wandering around the yard, but if you want a cuddly pet, i would choose something like a welsh harlequin, pekin, or swedish. If you like the mallard colors, rouen ducks look very similar to mallards, but are much bigger and calmer. You may still have luck with taming them, just hold them as much as possible, and as they get older, figure out what their favorite treats are and hand feed them. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    X2

But you can try to treat them and talk to them in a low calm voice. Also don't reach down at them try to be around their level when picking them up. Just spend a lot of time with them. They could warm up to you.

4. ChiknNuggets

ChiknNuggets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Thanks for the replies guys. I've been trying to get them to acclimate to me using the above advice. Wish me luck. I ordered these from metzer farms and their breed guide said they were a calm breed. I guess I should've went with the "very calm" breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by