Duck breeding question

Mountae

Hatching
Sep 26, 2020
So hi!
i rescued a duckling from a family (when she was two weeks old) she was the last one left so we took her and raised her along side some chickens, and made sure she was provided enrichment so she wouldn’t grow up lonely (aka,she had a mirror she slept by and we played the radio during the day when we weren’t home) she got fairly attached to one of our chickens and our cat who loved her. Anyway, we believed Ronnie was a boy until she started laying so then she became our little girl. like Muscovys do she goes through periods of laying to not.

since she has matured we have attempted at introducing a male to her but she has rejected them countless times.
Just yesterday we tried again and she was the most excited I have ever seen her. We seperated them through chicken fence to begin with but soon enough the male found a flaw in the fencing and broke through to be with her. Within 4 hours of them meeting, my female was more then willing to mate and they did proceed to.

my question is this. This is my girls first time mating. Does that lessen the chances of a successful fertilisation (I haven’t seen anything online anywhere). Currently she isn’t laying and hasn’t been for approximately 3 weeks now, will this mating stimulate her into mating or rather is my best bet at ducklings when she begins laying again?
thank you for any help :)

Aww, glad your girl finally found herself a boyfriend she likes! :)

As far as ducklings go, you might want to wait until Spring to let her hatch some. This isn't the best time of year for ducklings as it's turning cold and there will be alot less out there for them to forage on. Spring is always best. :)

Ahh thank you! I’m glad she has as well, they mated for the second time today and seem to be getting along fairly well (he’s been defended her against our dogs little does he know my dogs are in love with her)

and as I’m in Australia it’s actually spring at the moment :)

thank you both for the replies!

Ahh thank you! I’m glad she has as well, they mated for the second time today and seem to be getting along fairly well (he’s been defended her against our dogs little does he know my dogs are in love with her)

and as I’m in Australia it’s actually spring at the moment :)

thank you both for the replies!

Ah, ok! Well, then hatch away now if you want some little ones! ;)

Back
Top Bottom