Duck Breeding Questions

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Just a few questions as I'm still learning about owning ducks.

Is it true that they can mate in a pool? (Probably a stupid question, I know. Just curious)
How much will a young drake mate with a young duck?
Will they start breeding before the young duck starts laying?
Will a Runner duck sit on a clutch fertile eggs?
Should young duck be separated from young drake if he mates her too much?

Is it true that they can mate in a pool? (Probably a stupid question, I know. Just curious) Oh yes! Big time, I think it's their favorite place to mate!
How much will a young drake mate with a young duck? As much as he can as soon as they start.
Will they start breeding before the young duck starts laying? yes
Will a Runner duck sit on a clutch fertile eggs? In my experience with runners, not usually but they might. They are not a very broody breed.
Should young duck be separated from young drake if he mates her too much? Yes, that would be a good idea. Watch them and make sure he's not hurting her, pulling out feathers, eyes etc.

Is it true that they can mate in a pool? (Probably a stupid question, I know. Just curious)

Mating in the pool is preferable to on the ground.

A drake will mate a hen as much as he can.

They will probably start breeding before she starts laying.

Every duck is different and may or may not ever go broody and sit on a clutch.

Yes they should be separated if they are overmating.

Runner ducks aren't known for brooding, they usual just drop their egg whenever and where ever without even noticing and make ya go on a egg hunt unless you keep them locked up until they all lay their eggs. most ducks and other water fowl do mate in the water unless they've been raised with chickens with a rooster at least from what I have seen around here.
My friend when her pond was drained for the year found quite a few eggs at the bottom from the runners and the swedes

I really think I only have one lady that builds herself a perfect little nest every time. If she lays first, a few others may use her perfect nest, otherwise, eggs are scattered. I’m pretty sure she would set if I let her, she’s very fussy about that nest and always angry if I get anywhere near it.

Thank you everyone!
Luckily our young duck has been around our chickens so if I need to separate her from our young drake, I can move her over to their yard where he can still see her. And if I do move her over, I will be locking our 2 cockerels up so they can't harm her.
I was just merely asking about if Runners will sit on their eggs because next spring, I am actually going to take her fertile eggs to give to our broody hen who goes broody a lot every year.

I will definitely post photos of them before I sell them. I'm hoping I'll able to also give the hen some fertile chickens eggs as well so that she doesn't get upset when I take the ducklings away.

Back
Top Bottom