Duck Breeds

Farmer-John

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Yorkville, Indiana
Got a question....

I'm wanting to raise some ducks, which I haven't done since living on the farm a kid. Wondering what is a really good laying duck breed..

I have at the moment 126 chickens so whats a dozen ducks to add to the fowl operation.. :)

I have plenty of space, being I have my own farm and along with a pond... Was told the Khaki Campbells were really good..

Any suggestions would be much appreciated..

thanks,

Farmer-John

read the free magazine from Meyer Cheap Chicks Hatchery.com or go to the website they got al sorts of waterfowl info , they may or may not have egg layer info on ducks though. good luck bud
frow.gif
it's actually called the 2013 digital catalog on the website it is on the left side below the clicker buttons about mid page. there's a link on all kinds of ducks. suggestion.....try the indian runner duck breed.

Last edited:
read the free magazine from Meyer Cheap Chicks Hatchery.com or go to the website they got al sorts of waterfowl info , they may or may not have egg layer info on ducks though. good luck bud
frow.gif
it's actually called the 2013 digital catalog on the website it is on the left side below the clicker buttons about mid page. there's a link on all kinds of ducks. suggestion.....try the indian runner duck breed.
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Hi there, Looking at doing a set up for Ducks too.

Storey's say Khaki campbells can lay up to 340 egg per year. Which is pretty good. The sister duck, the Welsh Harlequin is good too according to Storey's.

I like them both. I would rather the egg part than the meat.

I also like the Muscovy as a quiet duck. The Magpie is nice to laying 290 eggs per year.

I also like the Hookbill due to them laying blue eggs.

I'm looking into keeping ducks now to see what it entails. Some ducks are fliers, like the Muscovy, so I have to take that into consideration.

Runners are supposed to be good layers too, but like chickens it will depend on the line I suppose.

All this information is from Storey's Poultry Breeds so take it for what it's worth.

Hi there, Looking at doing a set up for Ducks too.

Storey's say Khaki campbells can lay up to 340 egg per year. Which is pretty good. The sister duck, the Welsh Harlequin is good too according to Storey's.

I like them both. I would rather the egg part than the meat.

I also like the Muscovy as a quiet duck. The Magpie is nice to laying 290 eggs per year.

I also like the Hookbill due to them laying blue eggs.

I'm looking into keeping ducks now to see what it entails. Some ducks are fliers, like the Muscovy, so I have to take that into consideration.

Runners are supposed to be good layers too, but like chickens it will depend on the line I suppose.

All this information is from Storey's Poultry Breeds so take it for what it's worth.
Fantastic, thanks for the great information... I'm lending to eggs, not so much meat production like yourself. I'll check it out, thanks again.

I have and offer for Muscovy's and I do like them, BUT. They are fliers and that means wing clipping and perhaps more care. They are a meat duck too. Not big swimmers so I'm told and don't need a pond. I like that Muscovy's roost. Which might mean easy cleaning like chickens.

I like the Khaki Campbell for the eggs and perhaps not so much to worry about in flying.

The thing is I can't take the worry of predators. It's hasn't been a major problem with the chickens but if I'm out and about often enough I think it deters many. Except birds of prey. I "mark" around the place and I do think that helps, but good fencing does too.

The key is finding out what is the MAIN reason for your flock, that for sure will help narrow down the breeds. For us it was all about the bug control, eggs second so it's Muscovy that rule the duck breeds here.

The key is finding out what is the MAIN reason for your flock, that for sure will help narrow down the breeds. For us it was all about the bug control, eggs second so it's Muscovy that rule the duck breeds here.
I'm looking for egg production.. I have a ton of chickens so they manage the bug control.. thanks again folks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom