Duck brooder questions

toadbriar,

Mercy, I think I picked it up in Wintersville, Ohio a number of years ago. Perhaps it was at Big Bear (no longer in business), or perhaps it was at M&M Hardware. If it was M&M, they are an Ace affiliate, I think, so you may be able to find it at an Ace hardware store. Disclaimer - I am not a salesperson for any of these places
wink.png

I also may have picked it up at a NAPA, since I used it originally to store things (that I did not want to get soiled) in the back of my truck.

Other places to check include feedstores or tack shops. You may find a friend or neighbor who has one kicking around after they traded the truck for a sedan.
smile.png

Happy hunting!

One way to deal with the water splashing and spillage is to use a cottage cheese or Cool Whip container instead of a chick waterer. Cut a semi-circle from one side of the lid, sorta like a crescent moon slice. Snap the lid back on the container. The ducks can put their heads into the container and dabble in the water all they want, but they fling it around a whole lot less, AND they can't get INTO it or put their webbed feet into it to play in their water.

41679_duklingwaterer.jpg

I got my 54 gal Rubbermaid storage container from Lowe's. It wasn't very expensive at all! Easy to clean, easy to drag outside to dump litter, etc.

gryeyes,

Good idea!

I was thinking about a way to give them water that is a little deeper than the waterer, but that they would not hop into.

Perhaps if I put something like this in the brooder, at least a few of my eleven would take advantage of washing their heads. Hmmmm. . . .
hmm.png

Hey!
I have a little duck brooding page attached to my byc page...some ideas there...
Also I remember seeing this awesome brooder bin setup on here somewhere...they bought two of the same tubs, then cut out the bottom of one and attached screen. Then set it back in the other one. This way the extra water spilage falls down underneath. Might do that next time! I've also had them in the tub with the water sitting on the drain...boy they make it soggy!

Back
Top Bottom