Duck brooder size?

kunsangsean

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
I have tried to search-up the answer to this question but have come up with some conflicting answers. We have 6 ducklings arriving the last week of March, and I believe we'll have to keep them inside in the garage for 8 weeks as it may still be getting below 45 at night into May. Regarding brooder size: a chart from Metzer farms says 1 square foot per duckling up to 3 weeks and then 3 square feet per duckling from 4-8 weeks. Another place I read you could have 8 ducklings per square meter at up to 8 weeks old. Most of the brooders I see pictures or videos only meet the 1 square foot per duckling up to 3 weeks standard. I was considering using this type of setup - a 50 gallon tote that's about 5 square feet.
. As they get bigger I could setup a second or third tote, but would have to separate the ducklings and I don't know if that would be an issue for them. I was also looking at this plywood 4'x4' setup to give 16 square feet, though I'm not sure what to use for the floor of it.
. I'd love to hear feedback on what a healthy and realistic brooder size is for 6 ducklings possibly needing to be inside until they are fully feathered (~8 weeks?). I don't entirely understand what temperatures the ducklings can tolerate at what age, so if they can live outside earlier that would be great. But planning on waiting until they are fully feathered to play it safe.

Thanks! - Sean

I have tried to search-up the answer to this question but have come up with some conflicting answers. We have 6 ducklings arriving the last week of March, and I believe we'll have to keep them inside in the garage for 8 weeks as it may still be getting below 45 at night into May. Regarding brooder size: a chart from Metzer farms says 1 square foot per duckling up to 3 weeks and then 3 square feet per duckling from 4-8 weeks. Another place I read you could have 8 ducklings per square meter at up to 8 weeks old. Most of the brooders I see pictures or videos only meet the 1 square foot per duckling up to 3 weeks standard. I was considering using this type of setup - a 50 gallon tote that's about 5 square feet.
. As they get bigger I could setup a second or third tote, but would have to separate the ducklings and I don't know if that would be an issue for them. I was also looking at this plywood 4'x4' setup to give 16 square feet, though I'm not sure what to use for the floor of it.
. I'd love to hear feedback on what a healthy and realistic brooder size is for 6 ducklings possibly needing to be inside until they are fully feathered (~8 weeks?). I don't entirely understand what temperatures the ducklings can tolerate at what age, so if they can live outside earlier that would be great. But planning on waiting until they are fully feathered to play it safe.

Thanks! - Sean
I ordered small pet pens from Amazon and was able to make it bigger as they grew. It worked perfectly
Easy to take apart and store till the next time
None of my ducklings ever jumped over either
Easy to wipe down and move around
I put a good tarp down first then the pen then shavings
I use a heat plate not a lamp so if using a lamp yoy would need to find a way to use it
I got the solid ones so babies wouldn’t get the head stuck when small
I also didn’t use the ones on the bottom as I had the tarp I used them to expand the pen later on

Attachments

• 917DA7BF-00E6-46B2-BF17-7A638543F019.png
    917DA7BF-00E6-46B2-BF17-7A638543F019.png
    433.6 KB · Views: 43
  • C4113AAB-E5E4-4D4D-902C-D7E272BB76B3.png
    C4113AAB-E5E4-4D4D-902C-D7E272BB76B3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
When I have had 6 ducklings they spent about week in a large tupperware bin, then were moved to a small wading pool, and finally the large size plastic wading pool. By weeks 7 and 8 they were spending time in a pen outside during the day - it was summer - but they were sure getting crowded in the wading pool.

Back
Top Bottom