Duck can barely walk, any ideas?

First THANK YOU all for your help, I love this site! I did research and I don’t think it is egg yolk peritonitis because this has been going on for several weeks, I think she might be dead by now. However, still giving antibiotics, just in case.

Also, I don’t think it is a niacin issues because she has lost so much weight but eats with gusto! However, thank you so much for pointing that out. I needed to know that and will increase it for everyone. What are the benefits of nutritional yeast other than gut support? I feed fermented feed already but will add if needed.

At this point I have put 1ml of Ivermectin on her neck, I have put 1 tbls per gallon of Duramycin 10 in her water, and today gave her 0.9 Safeguard.

Ongoing I will give her 0.9 Safeguard in 4 days along with the Duramycin 10 in her water. I will also find a good source of Niacian.

Everyone gets a lot of garden extras, but I will see what else I can add. These guys were not kept in a bad way, but I really think they had worms. Their water source was a mud pit. However since they have arrived here they get to free range.

To might have to give Safeguard five days in a row, but let me check into that. If it's just a one day dose you would repeat again in ten days, not four. Make sense?

-Kathy

First THANK YOU all for your help, I love this site! I did research and I don’t think it is egg yolk peritonitis because this has been going on for several weeks, I think she might be dead by now. However, still giving antibiotics, just in case.

Also, I don’t think it is a niacin issues because she has lost so much weight but eats with gusto! However, thank you so much for pointing that out. I needed to know that and will increase it for everyone. What are the benefits of nutritional yeast other than gut support? I feed fermented feed already but will add if needed.

At this point I have put 1ml of Ivermectin on her neck, I have put 1 tbls per gallon of Duramycin 10 in her water, and today gave her 0.9 Safeguard.

Ongoing I will give her 0.9 Safeguard in 4 days along with the Duramycin 10 in her water. I will also find a good source of Niacian.

Everyone gets a lot of garden extras, but I will see what else I can add. These guys were not kept in a bad way, but I really think they had worms. Their water source was a mud pit. However since they have arrived here they get to free range.

The extra benefits of nutritional yeast is the niacin. It also has a lot of other B vitamins in it as well. Brewers yeast works as well, but doesn't have the nutrient concentration that nutritional yeast does. It doesn't matter overmuch for your chickens, but a lot of people have had issues with niacin deficiency in their ducks on Flock Raiser. It just doesn't have enough. So I'd definitely add some in for your ducks. :)

Well I will add some nutritional yeast them
big_smile.png
!

As of this morning she is still alive, she is no better but not getting any worse. I think penning her with her own food bowl helped a lot. Keeping my fingers crossed
fl.gif

Well I will add some nutritional yeast them
big_smile.png
!

As of this morning she is still alive, she is no better but not getting any worse. I think penning her with her own food bowl helped a lot. Keeping my fingers crossed
fl.gif
She may feel alot worse till all worms clear her system if worms is what it is. I'm glad to hear she is still with you. Hoping for the best.
fl.gif

Well I think it is working. It rained yesterday so I let her out with the flock to rang since the rain brought out all sorts of stuff they like to eat. While she still fell over a little it was NOTHING like in the video. She actually made it all the way from the pen to the kiddie pool and only fell once, where as before she fell at least 10 times. Thank you again so much!!!!

I think I am just going to treat everyone for worms. Pretty sure they had them when I got them so my preventative measures did not work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom