Duck can't walk suddenly, Help!

Nov 19, 2019
NW New Jersey
My 1 year old female golden layer 300 duck hasn't been walking for about 2 to 3 days. This started suddenly. She was fine until I came down and saw her not walking. She tries to walk and limps a little while walking, but her legs give out and she lays back down. She is eating and drinking and her poop is normal. I felt her belly and didn't feel anything hard so not egg bound. She does have a few very small bumbles on her feet. What could be wrong with her?

Attachments

• 20210803_100855.jpg
    20210803_100855.jpg
    1,007 KB · Views: 58
My 1 year old female golden layer 300 duck hasn't been walking for about 2 to 3 days. This started suddenly. She was fine until I came down and saw her not walking. She tries to walk and limps a little while walking, but her legs give out and she lays back down. She is eating and drinking and her poop is normal. I felt her belly and didn't feel anything hard so not egg bound. She does have a few very small bumbles on her feet. What could be wrong with her?
This happened to my Cayuga girl. I believe it was due to a pinched nerve. I massaged her abdomen and hips each day and kept a close eye on her. She came good within 4 days. She did lay an egg by then, so I assumed it was that causing pressure in a pelvic nerve.

This happened to my Cayuga girl. I believe it was due to a pinched nerve. I massaged her abdomen and hips each day and kept a close eye on her. She came good within 4 days. She did lay an egg by then, so I assumed it was that causing pressure in a pelvic nerve.
Thanks, hopefully this is what happened to her and that she gets better

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/obturator-paralysis.1438777/
I hope you have her inside where you can keep an eye on her. And just in case she is egg bound I'd be letting her soak in a tub of nice warm water. Supervised of course.
Can you get pictures of the bottom of her feet? Also letting her soak in a tub of warm water you can determine how well she is using her legs without the pressure of her body weight.
what is her diet please?

I hope you have her inside where you can keep an eye on her. And just in case she is egg bound I'd be letting her soak in a tub of nice warm water. Supervised of course.
Can you get pictures of the bottom of her feet? Also letting her soak in a tub of warm water you can determine how well she is using her legs without the pressure of her body weight.
what is her diet please?
She is still outside because she doesn't want to be separate from the other girls and the other girls aren't messing with her. She is on layer pellets. I check on her every hour or so. I'll let her soak in some water in a bit

She is soaking in some warm water
what is her diet please?

Attachments

• 20210803_122622.jpg
    20210803_122622.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 14
Is it warm water? Can she use her legs.
Yes warm water. She was using both of her legs and started standing up in the water more. She hopped out herself after 25 min. I put some cat food and dandelion leaves in the water for her to eat. She has started standing up more and has stood up for more than 15 min to preen herself, which is a huge improvement because she couldn't stand up before!

Attachments

• 20210803_130341.jpg
    20210803_130341.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210803_130342.jpg
    20210803_130342.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 12
If you have some Calcium gluconate it might not be a bad idea to give her about 1ml. If she did have an egg stuck where you can't feel it this would help her to move it on out. I suggest anyone with layers should have some TSC carries it.
That's great she is doing better, I think to be on the safe side I'd try and keep her from having a lot of exercise if your ducks are in a large area. Just to give her a bit of time to get over whatever this may be. Usually if egg-bound and they can't pass it they succumb pretty quick, but if an injury from over-mating or jumping out of the pool etc. It will take time to recover. Hopefully, you'll see her going in the right direction now. More warm soaks can't hurt keep the muscles loose.

Back
Top Bottom