Duck & chicken mom needs help!!

Glad to meet you, and I am so sorry to hear about the male ducks who were hit by cars.

Here is an internet post about ducks' need for others, along with other tips about keeping them. And here is an article from BYC here about how to care for ducks. It includes lots of photos of different breeds of ducks that may help you identify the bird you have, and make a decision about friends or rehoming. Best wishes as you move forward. You are good to make a home for these ducks.

:welcome

Hi, sorry for the loss of your other 2 ducks. Maybe your lone girl is just adjusting to her new surroundings? You might be best to post on the Duck forum for some advice: Ducks

Good luck!
Gosh I’m so sorry I wasn’t sure where to put it and thought that the introduction would be best so I could be rerouted to the right forum. Thank you for your kind words. She always used to hang out where we put the fence up so we thought keeping her in there would be fine and honestly she’s not acting weird, just seems confused because we always left the gate door open for her. I just don’t want her wandering down to the road where the big puddle is or I know she will get hit. Anyone turning that corner always hits that puddle.

Glad to meet you, and I am so sorry to hear about the male ducks who were hit by cars.

Here is an internet post about ducks' need for others, along with other tips about keeping them. And here is an article from BYC here about how to care for ducks. It includes lots of photos of different breeds of ducks that may help you identify the bird you have, and make a decision about friends or rehoming. Best wishes as you move forward. You are good to make a home for these ducks.
Thank you so much!!

Hey y’all!! I’m new here and from Ohio. I’ve referenced and used your blogs and posts/questions on several occasions this past year. Finally, I’m reaching out because I’m stuck on making a decision for my female duck. She is 3 years old, has been free range the entire time. We had two other male ducks she came here with as babies that ventured out to the main road over this past winter on separate occasions about a month apart and got hit. Our female has never ventured down there but I caught her yesterday just soon enough to shoo her back up into our yard. She wanders across our side road over to the neighbors house to get in their pool and I assume lay her eggs… still can’t find them…but never went down to the main road (state route) or anywhere near it. I put her in our large dog run (200ft rectangular set up off the side of our house with a wood gate and welded wire fencing) with shelter, and small pool as well as a dark enclosed small nesting box (the top of an old dog house, small opening) but now I am feeling guilty and worried she will be in distress. She wants nothing to do with other ducks and seems ok with the chickens (we only have hens) but with it being 8 on 1, they tend to attack and chase her in their pen/coop run. So we’ve just let her free range until yesterday afternoon. The neighbors will be putting chemicals in their pool soon and we’d really like to have her eggs as we do enjoy eating them!! Any help or suggestions or maybe reassurance that I’m not a bad mom for putting her in a safe run would be appreciated. No foxes or raccoons in the area that we know of either. Never had that problem. View attachment 3442168View attachment 3442169
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom