Duck coop ideas

chicken stalker

TOS Rocks!
Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Since the weather is getting cold out, its time to ponder ideas about my new coop....shhh don't tell my DH
big_smile.png

I would like to build a small coop for our new duck and hopefully find a mate for her. Right now she's housed with the chickens. Any suggestions/recomondations to include in the design. Pool is a given.

Maybe next year my DH will finally dig out the pond he's been dreaming of....unfortunaly he keeps calling it a hockey rink hmmm.
tongue.png

PS- If anyone has a Blue or Black Swedish male duck drop me a line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ducks are easy - they'll be happy with pretty much anything, leave the lonely one wiht the chickens until there is a buddy to cozy up with.

All my 6 ducks are in the coop with the chickens.

I'm not too sure what a duck coop would look like. I have some ducks that go in the coop with the chickens. Then I have some that would prefer to stay outside and swim all night long making tons of noise. I have a goat house/coop that has wood in the middle dividing it so that the ducks can go on one side to eat their food and also lay their eggs. Just don't be disappointed if you build a coop for them and they don't use it. I've heard from a lot of people that their ducks like to stay out a lot of the time.

I've heard of many people using a dog house as a duck house. They only went in there to lay and maybe to sleep. (I don't have personal experience with ducks, though.)

I am working on a 2x5ft shelter that is open(or half open on the front. During summer time my scovies just went under a piece of siding that i shoved beween the AC unit and a chainlink fence.

DO you have them fenced in?? I'm kust wondering about predators. Current she is in with the chickens and she seems fairly happy, though I think she would be happier with a mate or another duck.

We have a 4ftx8ft duck house. It has a wooden floor that is made from slats about 1/2inch apart. I do not put anything in the house on the floor I do put hay in the nest boxes. I clean the house out evryday so it is too expensive to put anything down. WE also lock them in at night for their own protection.

chicken stalker ;p :

DO you have them fenced in?? I'm kust wondering about predators. Current she is in with the chickens and she seems fairly happy, though I think she would be happier with a mate or another duck.

I have my chickens in a fenced run 100'x50'. I let them free range when I'm outside though. She might be happier if she had someone she could quack with. I always make sure my ducks are in pairs.​

chicken stalker ;p :

DO you have them fenced in?? .

My back yard is fenced, but the chickens and ducks don't have a problem going over if they feel like it
roll.png

One of my ducks was just up on the roof yesterday - so being able to fly keeps them safe as well.

SANY0699.jpg

Back
Top Bottom