Duck coop/pen designs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allanimals21, Sep 14, 2009.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Anyone know where I can find some plans? Or any of you have ideas for something simple? I'm in MN and I'm tryin to come up with something to house my 8 muscovies in the winter. I'm thinking they house part doesn't have to be huge but I would like to have an attached run to keep them in line. lol

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

This is my call duck house "The Quack House". But it would word for scovies too. Good Luck

3. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    [​IMG]

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW. If I had a million dollars, my ducks could live in a palace too! My 6 ducks have options of either a doghouse, or a small shed. At night I lock 4 into the tiny shed, and the mallards sleep on the pond. I have an 8'x8' totally fenced in pen for days that they can't free-range (when I am out of town overnight)... but nothing like what you guys have. WOW.

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

chickensducks&agoose :

WOW. If I had a million dollars, my ducks could live in a palace too! My 6 ducks have options of either a doghouse, or a small shed. At night I lock 4 into the tiny shed, and the mallards sleep on the pond. I have an 8'x8' totally fenced in pen for days that they can't free-range (when I am out of town overnight)... but nothing like what you guys have. WOW.

If I knew how to be handy with a hammer and nails, I could have something better than my unlevel, unsquare, shed... I even had to cut out part of a support post to make it all fit together... lol.

The good news, chickensducks&agoose, is that they are just ducks and don't care.​

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Charlindabob, what is all that white stuff around your posts and edges?

To all responders: How much did your pen/run cost? How many ducks do you have?

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Ours cost between $500-600. It hold 6 call ducks and 1 of the khakis. I let them out in the afternoon to freerange and swim.

8. charlindabob

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    chickensducks&agoose :

I have two dozen Mandarins in there as my breeders, both normal color and white and occassionally 60-70 ducklings or more, until they are sold.
    The "white stuff " is not snow. We are in central Florida....it's sand.
    And the cost....about $1000.00 in material. Size is 25'x50'.
    I have 12 nest boxes and have planted bamboo in many places in there now.​

9. charlindabob

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Quote:I have two dozen Mandarins in there as my breeders, both normal color and white and occassionally 60-70 ducklings or more, until they are sold.
    I have 12 nest boxes and have planted bamboo in many places in there now.

[​IMG]

10. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.

I have two dozen Mandarins in there as my breeders, both normal color and white and occassionally 60-70 ducklings or more, until they are sold.
    I have 12 nest boxes and have planted bamboo in many places in there now.

Charlindabob ,
    nice set up I really like it ,how high is your pen and does it have a net top and how high off the ground is your nesting boxies .

Thanks alan​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by