Duck Coop?

ktdidit

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2020
Prineville, Or
before I got this new coop my ducks & chickens would cuddle inside together. The new coop is 3x larger but my 3 ducks won't go in at night. They sleep under the coop or just on the ground outside. I do have a large enclosed fenced area around the coop. Do you think if I built them a small shelter they'd use it? I'm worried about winter.
Thanks, Kate

before I got this new coop my ducks & chickens would cuddle inside together. The new coop is 3x larger but my 3 ducks won't go in at night. They sleep under the coop or just on the ground outside. I do have a large enclosed fenced area around the coop. Do you think if I built them a small shelter they'd use it? I'm worried about winter.
Thanks, Kate
Ducks prefer to be closer to the ground and not up in the air so that may be why they are doing what they do. I think building them a small shelter to bed down in at night and to keep them out of the elements would be a good idea. My ducks have their own coop. I still have to "guide" them in and lock them up at night but because of the habit of doing that, it goes relatively quickly. I haven't found the trick to make them put themselves to bed yet. :lol:

I think for the most part it's best for ducks to have their own secure coop although some members here have chickens and ducks live together in one big one.

All year, winter and summer, I think they should be sheltered from the weather and not left outside where who knows what can get to them.

We use a flashlight to get them into their coop at night. They Go away from the light so we use it to corral them. They “talk back” a bit but manage to go into their coop relatively painlessly.

Mine respond to “bed time girls!” Haha. But they’ve been trained since I got them as day olds, so that makes a difference, as did the mealworms they get when they go in. :p they definitely prefer to be on the ground or close to it; if they prefer being under the coop, is there a way to give them a secure shelter under there? Would be a lot easier to train them to go somewhere they tend to gravitate towards anyways. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom