duck coops &nesting boxes

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Songster
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Oak Hills
ok fellow duck keepers I am going to be redoing my duck house and I'd like to see pics of all yours, beds, nesting boxes, doors,runs and so on inside and out im looking for new ideas and would appreciate any help you can offer thanks so much
smile.png

Inside the Duck Inn, a double-walled insulated plywood box, with an open top (now has a plexiglass drop ceiling for insulation - see the 2'x4' along the top of the wall), all openings except the doors are covered with half inch hardware cloth. Roof slopes one foot from one end of the 8' long shelter to the other. Roof is Suntuff polycarbonate, one clear panel down the center, the rest is gray. This photo shows one corner inside.

46527_inside_duck_inn.jpg

The Dutch door is a blessing for me - I can open it, the ducks don't run out, I can do most maintenance and the egg gathering through this door. The green curtain is to keep out driving rain (this was before adding the drop ceiling).

46527_looking_in_top_of_dutch_door.jpg

I could not resist this shot of the house under a few inches of snow - it held up very well, but I could not keep the ducks warm enough in it this past winter.

46527_snowed_pen_2011.jpg

Another shot of the people door, and you can see a bit of the roof.

46527_img_1001.jpg

Looking up at the roof from inside (pre plexiglass).

46527_img_0999.jpg

46527_img_0995.jpg

029695259616C.jpg
(not mine, but what the ducks will be living in...eventually.

This is what they are living in now...2 duckies. 2 chickies. = 4 chirpie twerpies.
DSCF7143.jpg

Next weekend starts the making of the castle coop....will be split half duck half chicken and a major headache in all

thats very nice I like it
smile.png
is the sleep area up off the ground?
@ stargazingmommy lol if it keeps them warm and safe thats all the matters and I know the head ache of the coop building I had to move a shed 2 1/2 acres to use as my chicken coop and I took it apart and resembled it lol

Our chickens and ducks live together in my version of the playhouse coop. I started partitioning off the bottom (under the hens house) last year though. In the winter I started putting the duck up with the chickens and shutting them all in the hen house at night. Then I felt bad cause she was laying UNDERNEATH 3 full grown hens!!!
ep.gif
sickbyc.gif

This summer I plan to create a lower level to the hen house and that will be for both the ducks so they have an insulated nesting box to sleep in together without being pooped on.

91900_img00338-20101016-1546.jpg

91900_img_0080.jpg

We have an old house on our property that we use as a duck house, hay house, junk house,...you name it.
olderpics404.jpg

1 room is split into 2...Pekins on 1 side....Runners on the other...I use cat litter pans as nests

bedtime029.jpg

bedtime030.jpg

We also have the hallway for the white baby Runners when they are bigger...wood from free pallets and you can knock up gates in 5 minutes
duckhouse471.jpg

Just now they are sharing the bathroom with the goslings...this will be the goosy room once they are older.
evicted001.jpg

Quote:
This was a 2 day build to get them a house, then it was another 2 wks before they moved into it. there's now just a netting fence between the run and garden area, and there is netting over the top.

Quote:
I have a few pics on my BYC 'Duck-House' page. I did not add any nesting boxes though.

Back
Top Bottom