1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duck coops

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by catmf6, May 27, 2009.

1. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Well, I used exterior grade paint on mine, and I've found that paint (even good exterior paint) tends to bubble, peel, and weather when it's always getting wet.

Something like deck stain, on the other hand, is designed to withstand rain, so it's going to last longer for you than paint - plus, stain won't peel off and possibly be ingested by your ducks.

For my pens, I spent a little extra and bought treated plywood that was supposed to be water resistant for the roof and floor - that was a very BAD idea. Not only has the cheap plywood held up just as well as the treated stuff, but the treated plywood warped terribly during the summer, leaving gaps where my hinged roofs close. [​IMG]

2. BirdNerd101

BirdNerd101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop

I love your pond!! How did you make the pump?

1 person likes this.
  3. Heidi1056

Heidi1056 New Egg

Nov 13, 2012
    How did u make your filter for the pool. I really need to do this for my ducks!

4. mommakurk

mommakurk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    Heres ours :))[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    i want something like ths for when i get ducks, can you open the roof to get eggs??

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Here's mine for my 2 muscovies.
    i want something like ths for when i get ducks, can you open the roof to get eggs??

The back of it opens for egg removal and cleaning.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That is adorable! what does it have for venting? love to see the rest of it.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    what a clever idea with all the rocks but i wonder how one would dump that pool? perhaps their is a drain, old post so hard to know.

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    This enclosure does not exist any longer. I went from 2 to 11 ducks and they now have a larger one. The one they are in now, the top lifts for egg gathering and cleaning. Thanks!!!

10. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Yes just make sure to coat/seal it because you don't want the plywood getting wet alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by