Duck Dens! what does yours look like?

Mystic Vampyre

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2015
°Wellington° - New Zealand
Hey guys.
I couldnt see any topics on Ducks housing or dens so l thought l would start one.
Im a first time Ducky owner so please and help on mine is appreciated.
I have 4 young Pekins (plus another -could be- Muscovy) all rescued and had them since a few days old.
The lil one is inside still under heat lamp etc.
The Pekins are outside.
Heres the start to my Ducky Den:

Everything was done pretty much myself apart from the main cage which we covered in decking and fixed up and added a door etc. The bath is actually a spa but we pulled the motor out. There was nothing but dirt and a raised garden which all got moved.
Pavers l put down and everything else built by me.
Still so much more to do yet!
Will try to get more pix to post.

Please post some of yurs as it would be great to see.

Any comments welcome please as l want the best housing for my Pekins! :)

Oh and the guttering along the fence is to stop water getting thru the fence and guttering on the ground to contain the water when l hose the pavers.
The ramp is solid to avoid and falls and the tree there is to help with shade.
This corner is close to the house and they are protected from any southerly winds etc so they will stay warm in winter.
They will freerange once they are bigger. They freerange at the moment only if lm outside with them due to cats.
They have learnt now to chase off our rooster and hen (lol) but the rooster has growled back once. They are Silver Spangled Hamburgs l rescued.

I love the tub idea. The ducks have destroyed our yard. We have little kiddie pool. When we empty it, the water creates mud. The ducks literally dig in the mud and then Clean their bills in the clean pool water. It is non stop. St. Louis is having some record breaking rain and my yard is a mud bath.
We have to do something different.

Does the tub empties into some kind of drain that flows away from their area?

I have 5. 3 Welch harlequins, 1 Peking and a mix

They share the chicken coop at night. They don't go to bed like chickens, so you have to put them away.

Good job. I love watching the ducks, I just need a better set up.

Really great! I continue to collect ideas for our flocks. We have 9 Runners, 4 Buffs, and a Black East Indies divided into two flocks. Long story, but one flock is a drake and two ducks.

Anyway, your setup looks like fun for the ducks!

Up here, since I have a few Runners who are not cold hardy, they sleep in the pen I built in the walkout basement. During the day in mild weather, they have a day pen - nothing exotic - but with swim pans and a nice base that is a composting straw, and they dig into it for worms and other goodies when they're not napping or swimming or eating out of their bowl.

We have just started building the new day pen - right now it's all I can do to get the basic structure up. As we go along, I entertain all kinds of ideas about what - other than a nice swim pan - goes into the day pen. I am thinking of having an A-frame shelter. The south side would be a corrugated polycarbonate, the north would be plywood painted a dark color, like a forest green. This would be their winter warm spot. In summer I could remove it, since it would not be needed. Right now winter is on my mind.

I would kind of like to set up a recirculating system for the water so it could be filtered for some water efficiency. My big wild dream would be to cycle the water through vegetable grow beds, a la aquaponics.

At the moment it drains close to my bottom gardens behind the fence. But lm hoping to figure plumbing to the drain just behind the fence where the hose is. Its only been filled once for trial so they arw using the big storage containers for bathing when l let them out. Will be installing a roof over the bath to keep leaves and sun out to keep water cool for them in summer.

Maybe a decking type base for the duckies to keep it from getting so muddy? I use this under the containers at the moment.

@Mystic Vampyre I love your set up and now get to see it all. you have done a fantastic job of it all. I have many houses since I have ducks, geese and chickens and none sleep in the same house. I love your pool set up too. Well planned and set up I give it a 10
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom