Duck Dilemma - time sensitive

Straight up......you will have limited decent weather time to get set up for your existing birds. Adding another species would make a challenge into a struggle.

While it stinks that your friend did not think it through/prepare properly it really may be a good lesson for them.....maybe not.

Here the humane society does take in chickens and ducks.....maybe an option where you are too.

If this is not something you wanted, you are going to hate them. Ducks are way needier than chickens, but like all poultry - are you prepared to spend the money on food, shelter, bedding and medications? Ducks are very prone to illness and bumblefoot. Have you considered that you won’t really be able to take a vacation without serious planning ahead? You will need to be up every morning at the crack of dawn to let them out, and home every night by dusk to lock them up. Ducks are a GIGANTIC PITA and a huge commitment.
I LOL'd when you asked if I was prepared to not take vacations (I have three kids and I'm not one of those super-moms who can do awesome stuff like huge vacations - super jealous of those who can manage it though!), but you raise some very good points. I'm not adverse to spending time/money on them, it's more that I'm not confident that I could even tell if a duck was limping, let alone having other problems!

Would the female ducks possibly be okay in a coop with turkeys or chickens? How do people keep the ducks' water from freezing in winter?
Depending on your coop, the ducks might be okay. Ducks sleep on the floor, so they would need a spot in the coop with nesting material that is not under a roost. If you do not have an area like that in your coop, you will need to build a duck house. They can share a run with other fowl even if they have a separate house.

If this is not something you wanted, you are going to hate them. Ducks are way needier than chickens, but like all poultry - are you prepared to spend the money on food, shelter, bedding and medications? Ducks are very prone to illness and bumblefoot. Have you considered that you won’t really be able to take a vacation without serious planning ahead? You will need to be up every morning at the crack of dawn to let them out, and home every night by dusk to lock them up. Ducks are a GIGANTIC PITA and a huge commitment.
I don't agree with the first statement. My 8 year old daughter is the one that wanted ducks. They were a lot of work as ducklings, but as adults, I feel like they're easier than chickens. However, I do agree about the bumblefoot. I immediately thought they're possibly Pekins whenever the poster described them. I am going to lose one of my beloved ducks because of bumblefoot and it's been extremely difficult. I feel so bad even though I did everything I could.
I certainly don't want to argue with you or dismiss the way you feel. I just wanted the poster to know that opinions are individual. I love these ducks so much

I probably could agree to a trial run of the ducks. The pole building I'm commandeering for my temporary coop is huge so housing should be okay if they play nice. I can get a kiddie-pool too, but I'm not sure how to keep it from freezing every night

I LOL'd when you asked if I was prepared to not take vacations (I have three kids and I'm not one of those super-moms who can do awesome stuff like huge vacations - super jealous of those who can manage it though!), but you raise some very good points. I'm not adverse to spending time/money on them, it's more that I'm not confident that I could even tell if a duck was limping, let alone having other problems!

All it takes is a quick pick up and inspection, probably weekly. This is absolutely necessary though. Mistaking the waddling for limping is exactly what happened with my girl.

I don't agree with the first statement. My 8 year old daughter is the one that wanted ducks. They were a lot of work as ducklings, but as adults, I feel like they're easier than chickens. However, I do agree about the bumblefoot. I immediately thought they're possibly Pekins whenever the poster described them. I am going to lose one of my beloved ducks because of bumblefoot and it's been extremely difficult. I feel so bad even though I did everything I could.
I certainly don't want to argue with you or dismiss the way you feel. I just wanted the poster to know that opinions are individual. I love these ducks so much
It's always good having another point of view! I'm so sorry to hear about your poor duck! That must be heart-breaking!

I probably could agree to a trial run of the ducks. The pole building I'm commandeering for my temporary coop is huge so housing should be okay if they play nice. I can get a kiddie-pool too, but I'm not sure how to keep it from freezing every night
Unfortunately I have no input on the kiddie pool freezing. My ducks were free ranging during the day and had access to the pond last winter. They did have a kiddie pool in their small run (aka dining room) that would freeze over anytime the temps got below freezing. If the temps didn't go too low, I was able to bust the ice on the top of the water. I'm anxious to learn about this in your thread :)

Back
Top Bottom