Duck dilemma

Mrsjdavis

Chirping
Aug 10, 2020
I started with 1 drake, 1 hen. My drake has become so aggressive! He chases my rooster, my hubs, my son, sometimes me! Im trying to introduce 4 new younglings (about 2 months) and he isn't having them in the yard. One of the 'lings is his offspring that he tried to kill when she hatched. I have expanded the yard, thinking they just needed more space, but today he ran up on the newbies, pulling feathers out and terrifying them! I can re- home him with a friend, but in concerned about his mate. Will she be upset? Im also concerned about the care he'll get. I do spoil my babies and my friend isn't a spoiler. Am I just being extra? Does my problem child just need to go? Or do I quit fussin' over them abs let them work it out?

Last edited:
An aggressive drake should be turned into Sunday dinner before he hurts someone or something seriously. Think twice about giving this drake to a friend unless they are avid bird keepers. A customer gave me her royal palm turkey because he was mean. It has worked out for us because we KNOW turkeys. The Tom now follows me everywhere in the yard, right along with the dogs. However, he will never be safe with strangers, and has attacked one neighbor who came into our fenced backyard uninvited. She will not be doing that again!
People who would never kick a dog for fear of being bit don't get that kicking a tom turkey is an invitation to fight. The tom won and the neighbor ran screaming obscenities. :celebrate :wee:he:eek::th

don’t kill him. he’s just being a drake.

i think he would do good in a small bachelor (all drake) flock. no girls to fight over, so no aggression.

I would never kill him.... I'm feeling bad even thinking of re- homing him....
you have other ducks right? then his mate will be fine. after he gets used to a new home, he will be fine too. but i really think finding him an all drake flock would stop the aggression.

I personally prefer a drake that’s protective of his friends, but not when that extends to viciously attacking newcomers, especially babies, and people. My current drake is protective of my duck hen and my younger drakelet, and keeps the chickens away from them, and I definitely have to watch him around the ducklings - no way they’re going in with the bigger ducks until they’re quite a bit larger. But I’ve had excellent success integrating baby ducklings by placing them in a pen inside the main pen with the quietest member of my duck flock for a week or 2, and then releasing all of them together once the drake stops paying attention to them being in there.
As for human aggression, spoiling a drake is the fastest way to a bratty, disrespectful jerk. I should know, lol, I’ve had 2 of them. xD the one I currently have is coming along; he was a single hatchling that I hand raised and is firmly entrenched in the belief that he is a duck and a people and pushes the limits with humans in a way no normal duck would. He still gets attention and treats, but he also gets pinned and “pecked” when he pinches or attempts to intimidate any person. He doesn’t hate me, he still comes and sits on my feet when I invite him, but he’s the one who moves out of my way when I’m working in the pen. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Each individual animal is different but if he’s a danger to you or your family or friends, he may he better off in the stewpot.

I started with 1 drake, 1 hen. My drake has become so aggressive! He chases my rooster, my hubs, my son, sometimes me! Im trying to introduce 4 new younglings (about 2 months) and he isn't having them in the yard. One of the 'lings is his offspring that he tried to kill when she hatched. I have expanded the yard, thinking they just needed more space, but today he ran up on the newbies, pulling feathers out and terrifying them! I can re- home him with a friend, but in concerned about his mate. Will she be upset? Im also concerned about the care he'll get. I do spoil my babies and my friend isn't a spoiler. Am I just being extra? Does my problem child just need to go? Or do I quit fussin' over them abs let them work it out?
I am having exactly the same issue with my drake who is 4 1/2 months old. Mine have plenty of room too....not sure what to do with him..I don't want to rehome him.

Re-homed him... he seems ok... he lives with other ducks and geese that won't let him act like a jerk 😊....NOW I'm apparently dealing with some kind of predator. I've lost 2 birds in thr span of a week. Just POOF gone! Hubs said he thought he saw a bobcat near our patio a couple weeks ago. So other than hot wire on the fence, anyone have any good predator deterrent ideas/ suggestions?

Re-homed him... he seems ok... he lives with other ducks and geese that won't let him act like a jerk 😊....NOW I'm apparently dealing with some kind of predator. I've lost 2 birds in thr span of a week. Just POOF gone! Hubs said he thought he saw a bobcat near our patio a couple weeks ago. So other than hot wire on the fence, anyone have any good predator deterrent ideas/ suggestions?
A nice big well trained barky guardian dog breed - thats the advice we got here regarding wolf deterrent. Essentially self preservation means predators will avoid a fight and go find something easier to eat.

Back
Top Bottom