Duck disaster

lala3hens

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 19, 2013
Just a rant unless someone has any ideas?? So I foolishly bought 6 week old ducks from someone with a duck farm because I wanted eggs… turns out they sold me one duck and five drakes. I have listed the drakes for free on several sites locally and I can’t give them away. I only have one coop and need to get 4 of the drakes away from my poor duck soon. I cannot bring myself to kill them as for the last couple months I have been talking to Debbie, Dora, Daisy and Dona (now all drakes). I have learned a huge life lesson. I wish I could find a secluded lake to free them at and at least they would have a chance. We open the coop door and try to get them to get out for awhile each day they really are happy I guess cuz they just go right back in… I feel so guilty.

Well definitely do not release them at a lake they don't know how to fend for themselves in the wild also it is very illegal to release domestic birds into the wild. Honestly I would recommend rehoming the female duck and having the drakes as pets because it will be much easier to rehome the girl. But if you really only got them for eggs I guess the only thing you can do is wait until you find a good home for them you can post on Craigslist and on the buy/sell/trade part if this forum, or in your state thread on this forum.

Have you tried posting them on your state thread. You may find someone there looking for a drake.

The only other thing I can think of is to create a second coop and run area for your drakes. Drake flocks can do ok seperated from females.

Back
Top Bottom