Ducks won’t lay

Brennen

Chirping
May 20, 2020
I have 3 magpie ducks, 2 are hens and 1 is a drake. The goal was to breed them, but I’ve ran into a problem as they are over 6 months old and I still haven’t gotten a single egg out of them and I can’t figure it out. They are fed layer pellets, have clean water, fresh straw bedding, and have plenty of outdoor time. And not a single egg has been laid. What should I do?

Your ducks are still pretty young, don’t stress. The first ducklings I ever had didn’t start laying until around 7 - 8 months, and my current hens didn’t lay normal, consistent eggs until months 10 and 11.

Also, what nuthatched said - it’s winter + your drake / non-laying birds shouldn’t be eating layer feed.

I'm having the same problem with mine. A hen with a drake she's almost a year. If not layer feed then what do I feed them?
You can switch to a different duck feed, flock-raiser, or waterfowl feed, that doesn’t say “layer,” and put a bowl of crushed oyster shells on the side. Personally, I do Purina’s duck feed + oyster shell, but there’s many other options.

How old is “almost a year?”
If it’s still pretty cold where you are, you may just need to wait until spring as well.
Do your ducks get to free-range, and how much sunlight do they get?

Back
Top Bottom