When will my ducks start laying? 7 months

Waddlewoods

Chirping
May 8, 2023
I hatched my first ducks 7 months ago (3 drakes & 3 hens) and I've yet to get a single egg. 2 of the hens are runners and 1 a Welsh Harlequin. I live in Ontario, Canada and it's December so should I expect they will start laying come spring? Is there anything I can do to help?

I'm also in Ontario, and mine take a break over the winter. They usually start laying in early Spring, around March or so. I don't expect any eggs from the previous year's babies until then.

You may want to consider rehoming some of the drakes. That ratio is not good for the females, and they will fight come breeding season.

oh yah wow i didnt notice you said 3 drakes until @Canadian Wind mentioned it.
Your females will likely get abused injured and even killed with that ratio.
the best ratio is only 1 drake for every 3 to 5 hens

I'm also in Ontario, and mine take a break over the winter. They usually start laying in early Spring, around March or so. I don't expect any eggs from the previous year's babies until then.

You may want to consider rehoming some of the drakes. That ratio is not good for the females, and they will fight come breeding season.
Ok awesome. Thanks.

Ya I'm likely going to have to re-home as I also hatched more later in the summer and got unlucky again. Currently have 6 drakes and 4 hens. 🙈 I've been preparing my kids for the prospect that we may likely need to re-home but I told them we can try a bachelor pen first and see how it goes. So far they all get along great but a I know that will change. We are in the process of building the second pen.

Ok awesome. Thanks.

Ya I'm likely going to have to re-home as I also hatched more later in the summer and got unlucky again. Currently have 6 drakes and 4 hens. 🙈 I've been preparing my kids for the prospect that we may likely need to re-home but I told them we can try a bachelor pen first and see how it goes. So far they all get along great but a I know that will change. We are in the process of building the second pen.
A bachelor pen might be a good idea. I also have rotten luck with my ratios. I need to cull two more drakes, as well as several from my Muscovy flock, but just keep procrastinating on it.

I hatched my first ducks 7 months ago (3 drakes & 3 hens) and I've yet to get a single egg. 2 of the hens are runners and 1 a Welsh Harlequin. I live in Ontario, Canada and it's December so should I expect they will start laying come spring? Is there anything I can do to help?
you want at least 4-5 females per male up to 10 per male with Welsh Harlequin. They are a very active breed.

Back
Top Bottom