Duck/drake ratio

She could carry the crested gene. 2 crested can mate and produce offspring but a portion (1/3 I think) will die in the shell and ducks that carry the gene are susceptible to skeletal deformities and balance problems. These problems may not appear until months after hatching.

Thanks Haunted!!! I have no problem culling some of my farm animals... I raise rabbits for meat puposes, but I have to be honest, I have never cooked duck and just thought I'd rather sell them or exchange them... I just posted and ad on them... if I don't get a response this week I will start checking duck recipes
caf.gif

Thanks Haunted!!! I have no problem culling some of my farm animals... I raise rabbits for meat puposes, but I have to be honest, I have never cooked duck and just thought I'd rather sell them or exchange them... I just posted and ad on them... if I don't get a response this week I will start checking duck recipes
caf.gif
Lol, good for you! Although....if you were closer. They are beauties! I'm sorry this happened to you. It's never easy is it? Duck recipes are plentiful and duck is very, very good. A little brandied cherries over the top.....oh yes.

Lol, good for you! Although....if you were closer. They are beauties! I'm sorry this happened to you. It's never easy is it? Duck recipes are plentiful and duck is very, very good. A little brandied cherries over the top.....oh yes.
Ok... I read your post (the one you recommended on Mandy) and now I can't stop crying
hit.gif
... literally. I have 40 animals in my little farm and (for meat purposes or not)... all get special daily care and one on one time w/ the family...

Knowing you had to see your girl go like this is just heartbreaking. Some people just don't get how one can feel like this for their animals and cull them when the time comes. Here, I am the only one who does the culling and I would not let anyone else do it. I know the exact reasons why I cull animals and the way to do it paying respect to what they mean/meant in the farm and in a humanely way.

For me they are pets until... they are not... I face all my animals and the feelings/ commitment I have for them when the culling time comes... I have to always come to terms w/ this... every time. When you do this is a very peaceful, fulfilling experience.

All this to say, that I think loosing an animal the way Mandy went is a huge loss compared to deciding to cull a farm animal in a responsible way...

Thanks to you and Mandy for teaching me this... We are caretakers of living creatures and they should all receive proper care from us. THANKS SOOOO MUCH!!!

PD- I have had "accidents" with my rabbits where they have been killed because of me... they are so fragile while kits... so I can relate to your story. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I cried when I read that post too. It's just so sad and very hard to come to terms with the fact that our sweet little drakes have the potential to do something like that. It sounds like you're very good to your animals, though, Happy Camper! I agree that if we're going to eat them it's so much better to have given them a good life and respect for their sacrifice. It is hard to explain to people how important the animals in our lives can be, and very frustrating when they can't get it. But I've found that we're among friends on this forum. :)

Last edited:
Don't cry....that isn't what I wanted for you. That was my cross to bear. I just wanted you to see what can happen if proper care isn't taken. I now have all but 2 of my pekin drakes in lock down, lol. They are only allowed out with all of the others if I can sit right there and ride herd on them. For the most part, read this as with a little persuasion, they now spend their time bathing and preening themselves afterwards. Then they are put back into their pen. I now have 12 drakes in total and all but 2 will be going to camp Libby. I plan on keeping one of the large pekin drakes and one of the regular size at anytime.

I cried when I read that post too. It's just so sad and very hard to come to terms with the fact that our sweet little drakes have the potential to do something like that. It sounds like you're very good to your animals, though, Happy Camper! I agree that if we're going to eat them it's so much better to have given them a good life and respect for their sacrifice. It is hard to explain to people how important the animals in our lives can be, and very frustrating when they can't get it. But I've found that we're among friends on this forum. :)
That's so true... I have found a really great place here in BYC... I am all anti facebook, twitter etc... (anyways I just don't spend my time on that) in the sense that I cherish privacy. But I have to say this forum has been a blessing to me. Some things you just can share among people who have empathy for what you do, cause they have been there. I have learned great this that positively affect my live and the live of my animals... and I hope I can also benefit others.
yesss.gif

Don't cry....that isn't what I wanted for you. That was my cross to bear. I just wanted you to see what can happen if proper care isn't taken. I now have all but 2 of my pekin drakes in lock down, lol. They are only allowed out with all of the others if I can sit right there and ride herd on them. For the most part, read this as with a little persuasion, they now spend their time bathing and preening themselves afterwards. Then they are put back into their pen. I now have 12 drakes in total and all but 2 will be going to camp Libby. I plan on keeping one of the large pekin drakes and one of the regular size at anytime.
Hahaha... was a good cry. Besides is also your fault for being such a good story teller.... hahaha... thanks for this. You have been a great teacher/help. God bless you.

Hi! New duck owner, as luck would have it, I also have three drakes to one female, just figured this out, they are about seven weeks old now, can anyone recommend online classified of sorts where I could possibly sell/ exchange one or two of my males ( Pekins) for females? I'm relatively clueless at this

Our Tractor Supply has 2 weekends a month where people can bring their livestock to sell or trade. You may have the same thing available there. You might also be able to post your drakes on a local bulletin board where you buy your grain. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom