Duck Droppings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sarahc63, Jul 6, 2016.

1. sarahc63

sarahc63 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Ohio
    I am new to raising ducks and I have two very fluffy Pekins ~17 days old. I noticed this morning that one of the duckling's poop has the consistency of rabbit poop (lots of small round droppings). They ate some peas yesterday in addition to their regular feed, but they have eaten peas other days and I have not seen any droppings like this before. Just wondering if this is a normal thing or not!?

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well I know mine changed consistency as they aged. Duckling poop for me always has smelt so bad, and been so runny, whereas my adults poop rarely smells, and is only runny when they've eaten a lot of bugs. When they eat more grass it turns green and more solid.
    But rabbit droppings? Sounds odd to me. Are you sure the poop isn't part solid and part runny and the runny part is just soaking up right away?

3. sarahc63

Jun 29, 2016
    Ohio
    The small balls of poop are solid and there is a little liquid, but less than the usual poops. There's approx. 15-25 little balls in a single poop and they are a little less than a 1/4 inch in diameter.

4. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Like deer droppings?
    That doesn't sound good. Do they have access to grit?

5. sarahc63

Jun 29, 2016
    Ohio
    Yes, they have chick grit and I have seen both of them eat it occasionally. I also take them outside for at least an hour almost every day, so I'm guessing they would get some grit outside as well. They are acting very normal outside of the poop. Neither duckling seems lethargic and both are eating lots. I am not sure which duckling is making the poop yet.

6. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmmm... well they have lots of access to water right?

7. sarahc63

Jun 29, 2016
    Ohio
    Yes, water 24/7, and I change it like crazy if they get it dirty. I feed them Manna Pro Starter Crumbles. It's 19% protein and non-medicated. I also sprinkle brewer's yeast on top of the food for added niacin. Both ducklings have been eating and drinking regularly thus far. The only thing they've eaten outside of their food is the peas and whatever they ate outside. Do you think I should I take them to the vet or just monitor them for a little longer?

8. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I think if they're active and drinking and eating you're fine. Maybe pick them up and check their eyes and nares for any blockages or runniness. If they seem okay and not lethargic I wouldn't worry. Just keep an eye out. :)
    One thing though, I would change, is the feed. 19% protein is a lot for any breed of duck, let alone Pekins. Pekins grow faster and higher protein for them makes them grow faster than any other duck. If they're going to be pets you should add oats (rolled or whole) to their feed to lower the protein. Add it by 5% each week until it makes up about 25% of their feed. I just worry because 19% protein does seem high anywhere past 2 weeks, and it can cause leg and wing problems. I'd hate to see that happen :(

1 person likes this.
  9. sarahc63

Jun 29, 2016
    Ohio
    Thanks so much, will do! I was planning to start cutting the food w/ oats at 3 weeks but I will do that next time I feed them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by