Duck Egg / Chicken Egg Values

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LeannS, Dec 9, 2015.

1. LeannS

LeannS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quote: Duck eggs are ALKALINE and Chicken eggs are ACID.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Where are you getting the alkaline-acid information?

3. LeannS

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hmmm, fascinating. I do know that in at least some cultures, duck eggs are reserved for those who're not feeling well - they are considered medicinal.

And there are differences in the amounts of certain minerals in the eggs - according to the USDA.

5. LeannS

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
    In the links, it states that the alkalinity of the duck eggs is anti-cancer food.

6. PB67

PB67 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    Western PA

Sorry, but this is pseudoscience. The body naturally regulates its pH within a very narrow spectrum.

The unsubstantiated theory is based on lab studies that suggest cancer cells thrive in an acidic (low pH) environment, but cannot survive in alkaline (high pH) surroundings. While these findings are accurate, they apply only to cells in an isolated lab setting. Altering the cell environment of the human body to create a less-acidic, less-cancer-friendly environment is virtually impossible.
    While proponents of this myth argue that avoiding certain foods and eating others can change the body’s pH level, these claims stand in stark contrast to everything we know about the chemistry of the human body. Acid-base balance is tightly regulated by several mechanisms, among them kidney and respiratory functions. Even slight changes to your body’s pH are life-threatening events. Patients with kidney disease and pulmonary dysfunction, for example, often rely on dialysis machines and mechanical ventilators (respectively) to avoid even small disruption of acid-base balance.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=13441

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. LeannS

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by