Duck Egg Colors...Your Input Needed

Muggsmagee

Menagerie Mama
13 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Central NY
I've seen this question posted before, but not many duck owners responded. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=163944 Someone was handy enough to start a spreadsheet, but it is so small I can't make out what's what. So... it begs to be asked again...

What color eggs come from what breeds of ducks? What about egg size? (I will be placing a small order of ducks this spring, and would like a variety of colors in my egg basket. I'd like to make an educated decision when ordering.)

For every answer, I will come back to this original post and update the list. There are breeds I am missing, just let me know what and I will post them.

This website was posted and will be great to reference egg size and production:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=184362 (I'm starting to understand the "Bluish Percentage" now!)

Magpies.....WHITE
Muscovy...........OFF WHITE/CREAM to Dark OLIVE
Welsh Harlequin.........WHITE (per Holderread Farm's website)
Cayuga....................BLACK to WHITE
Saxony..............WHITE (Holderread) some eggs are MINT GREEN
Buff Orpington........
Call Ducks............WHITE with a hint of GREEN
Khaki Campbell..........Pure WHITE
Appleyard............WHITE
Swedish..........Dark Blue/Green and fade to WHITE in their laying cycle
Pekin..........WHITE
Rouen........BLUE/GREEN can also be WHITE
Mallard...........GREEN/BLUE
Gold Star Hybrid.........WHITE sometimes BLUE
White Layer (same as Gold Star)....WHITE
Runner.........GREEN, BLUE, TAN

Last edited:
Quote:
It gives a percentage of "Bluish Eggs"...but says NOTHING of true egg colors. Egg production and egg size are helpful though! So thanks.

Do any ducks lay brown eggs? Or green? We know some are white. What about speckled?

My chocolate and black runners produce eggs that are green and tan. I do not know exactly who lays what, except that one of my chocolates, Sechs, lays a green egg with just a hint of bluishness. My friend has blue runners and they lay blue eggs.

Quote:
I put under Runners green, blue, tan. I realize there are subcategories with these breeds. We can address this later. Thank you for your input.

Quote:
Hmmm...like a light, light mint?

Yes, but it is not a solid color. They are sort of marbled with white.

A friend gave me 3 duck eggs in October...the first I've ever seen. I tried to hatch them...no luck. They were white and had a sort of translucency to them. Are all duck eggs like that? Translucent?

Back
Top Bottom