Duck egg externally pipped towards bottom and away from air sac !! Assist or not to assist that is the question

Duckincrazy

In the Brooder
May 26, 2023
McMinnville TN
One of my 12 duck eggs externally pipped yesterday 5/25/23 @ around 145 pm , the pip is towards the bottom on blunt end but it’s away from air sac.. since this time the duck has been active and made a complete hole through the membrane and I can see what appears to be it’s beak and to me the beak looks like it’s upside down .. it’s still moving it’s bill/beak often and is peeping just as often as the rest that have all externally pipped within the air sacs , just this one has pipped toward bottom and away from sac - it’s now 4pm on 5/6/23 which is right about at 26 hours since it externally pipped away from sac and towards the bottom .. do I need to leave it be since it seems to be progressing somewhat or do I need to assist ? Thanks to all and I am new to this site - but have read over the guide to assisting with hatches - I just didn’t see anything about externally pipping towards bottom as well as away from sac with whaat appears to be beak upside down
I’ll attach a pic for reference and it’s current as of 4pm cst
Thanks again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 28
And here is a pic showing the air sac is going in the opposite direction of where duck externally popped

Attachments

• IMG_5365.jpeg
    IMG_5365.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5366.jpeg
    IMG_5366.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5364.jpeg
    IMG_5364.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 29
If it is actually an external pip, even at the wrong end.... your duckling should be able to breathe and rest, per my understanding (I’m no pro w the bators, but I’m learning!)
I’ve been pouring over the forums as I’ve got a bunch of eggs in lockdown rn, and I’ve seen lots of people w eggs that had malpositioned chicks, that hatched on their own 💕
I’d give it another day or so, esp if you can see the beak at the pip. It probably is just about to pop out, as soon as you stop watching 🙄🤣

Back
Top Bottom