1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Egg Hatching Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cookiiez, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Cookiiez

Cookiiez New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    Mississauga, ON
    Hey, so I have 10 eggs in an incubator that has a fan and an auto turner. The eggs have been in there since May 4th, all is going well... however... I'm starting to get a little nervous. They have been in their eggs for 29 days and still haven't hatched. I candled them to see that they have broken the membrane into the air sack, but there has been no progress at all since then. Now I'm confused on how much longer it will take before they start pipping.......... The temperature is at 37.5 and the humidity is at 80%...... Please advise!! This is my first time hatching and have no idea what to do [​IMG] Should I wait? Or should I be worried?[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Sadly, i have no experience with either using incubators or ducks, but I'd suggest that you post on the "duck" forum, where i am sure you will get all the help you need.

Good luck
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know much about ducks and nothing about incubation. Please do post on the duck thread.

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    If you could see them moving when you saw the internal pips, then I wouldn't worry... did you calibrate your thermometer to make sure it is accurate? Slightly low temp can cause a delay in hatching... also, ducks take much longer than chicks do from internal pip to hatch... general rule of thumb is 24 to 48 hours after internal pip is external pip, then another 24 hrs from external pip to zip... some can go quicker, but many do not... humidity sounds good... hope you have your ducklings soon! :)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] How is the hatch going now, any progress yet? Sometimes, even under "ideal" conditions eggs can take a bit longer than expected to hatch. And like the above poster said, if your temp is just a bit off, it can delay them quite a lot.

7. Cookiiez

Cookiiez New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    Mississauga, ON

Hey yeah, everything was okay.. Was kind of ironic because after I posted that, I checked and some of the eggs were cracked. Got 8 ducklings out of 12. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by