Duck Egg Mystery

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultrypalooza, Aug 29, 2014.

1. poultrypalooza

poultrypalooza Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    I have 3 Pekin hens that are all over a year old and have been laying magnificent large white eggs almost every day. I also have 2 Pekin hens and 2 Khaki Campbell hens that are spring ducks and are just starting to lay eggs. In everything that I have read, Khaki Campbells lay white eggs. Three times in the last week I have found a smallish GREEN egg in the duck yard!! Since it is small I know it is coming from one of my Khaki hens. Can Khaki Campbells lay green eggs? I know that Khaki's are a cross between a Runner and a Rouen and Runners lay green eggs. One of my "Khaki's" stands up taller, like a Runner duck (but not quite as tall as a pure Runner duck). Do you think she might not be a pure Khaki and has more Runner in her and that is why I'm getting green eggs? I'm baffled! I never expected green eggs!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think you have it. Really sounds like that Khaki is laying green eggs, and I think I recall a friend of mine had KCs and she got green eggs, also.

1 person likes this.
  3. EyeCandyQuilts

EyeCandyQuilts Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Poland, Ohio
    My khaki just started to lay eggs 9 days ago and I am so glad I read this! 2 of her eggs were greenish and I thought I was either seeing things or she had eaten so much kale that it was green from the poopy mess on it! Guess they CAN lay green eggs! If I could find a green pig, we could make green eggs n ham ;) ! My kids love that story!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by