Duck egg prices? How much?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kuntrygirl, Jun 28, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How much do you sell your duck eggs for eating? I have muscovy and welsh harlequin hens.

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    So much depends on the market in your area. And finding customers who esteem duck eggs. Those who do may be willing to pay more than they would for chicken eggs. But many many more people think duck eggs are inedible, or at the least just as good as chicken eggs. If you're fortunate you can find some gourmet chefs & bakers, some individuals who prefer duck eggs, individuals with allergies to chicken eggs, and folks with ethnic preferences for duck eggs. Many commercial bakers cannot justify the higher price for duck eggs, they need to keep their expenses as low as possible and their customers aren't willing to pay extra just because the goods were baked with duck eggs.

Here in Palm Beach County, Florida, I can sell chicken eggs for $4 a dozen and duck eggs for $6 a dozen, delivered. But my duck customers are dwindling, I have sold them for $4-$5 when I can. And I give away a LOT of them to try & convince more folks to try them. We also EAT a lot of duck eggs, when I have a lot I make big quiches that use 12 duck eggs, or several loaves of French Toast using 30 duck eggs, 4 bananas, and a couple of loaves of challah bread.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    One of my egg customers asked me about my duck eggs. I had a couple of regular customers about 4 months ago before my ducks started setting on eggs. My hens have stopped laying for now because they are still with the babies. I can't remember how much I sold my ducks eggs for. I think I sold them for $3.00 a dozen.

I agree with you in that some people think that duck eggs are inedible. People are often turned off by duck eggs.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My ducks aren't laying yet but I plan to give a 1/2 dz free to each customer when the ducks get going to see what they think about them. I have several older folks who want them for baking, too. I sell my chicken eggs for $3 dz from free range, naturally fed birds and I plan to sell the duck eggs for the same price or mix and match in a carton for them.
    I suppose it is all supply and demand. If the demand gets higher then I will charge more but in this economy I doubt it will happen for me.

5. Frank Garard

Frank Garard Hatching

Aug 25, 2013
    I am interested in trying duck eggs. my cell is 561/252-4091. please call me Wednesday or Thursday. I am in Green Acres near Jog and Forest Hill..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by