Duck egg question

digger MN

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 5, 2010
I have 4 hen mallards. This morning I got 4 duck eggs out of the pen like any other day. OK Here it is what the heck is going on tonight when we got out there to put them away. There was a broken egg by the pond and there was a soft scheel on next to the schelter we put them in. I thought that they only layed one egg a day. Oh yeah, I get 3 green eggs and 1 white each day. The soft ones were white. May I ask is going on???????????? Thanks for any help I need it. Digger

I dont know anything about the 3 green and 1 white. But what do you mean a broken eggs? Was there a yoke near it? You dont think a duckling hatched from it do you?

No the 3 green eggs and one white egg is what I get every moring when I go let the ducks out. The white eggs are only layed by one of the hens. The 2 eggs at night where both white. They both were soft shell one was broke open. Yes there was yoke on the ground. The other one was just sitting there and it was soft shell too. Oh I only have 4 hens. They are mallards and they lay both white and also green eggs. Why so many eggs in one day.

Is there any chance your white egg layer hid a couple of eggs for a while? I find that my ducks can be very clever at hiding eggs when they take a mind to, even on flat ground that doesn't seem to have cover! I find them later and suddenly have extra eggs. The soft shelled one could be one that "hurried" through, usually due to stress of some sort, one goes through the system without the time to fully form its shell. Odd, but it happens every so often. It's highly unlikely your white egg layer would lay more than on in 24 hours, but rarely it can happen. Three in 24 hours would be extremely unlikely, I'd look first for another explanation.

I go in there about 5 to 6 times a day and did not see the new ones. I Check all over, but it could happen she hide them. But they were not even dirty at all looked like they just droped them. Well will watch a little closer. Thank You

Every so often our ducks lay more than one egg each in 24 hours. Meaning I'll find eggs when I open the pen in the morning and then sometime much later that day I'll find another egg. I'm guessing that the eggs I found in the morning were laid very, very early and that their egg laying cycle was just a little short that day...
idunno.gif

She layed firt one about 8 am and second one at about 7 or 8 pm. Just to let you no. Thank you for the help

Back
Top Bottom