Duck Egg Question

lindsaydavis

Hatching
6 Years
May 10, 2013
I found a nest of 10 eggs that my Rouen hen had hidden on Saturday. Sure enough, today she had moved her nest into a wet corner of the duck pen and now has 12 eggs. Tonight I took a candler out to check on the eggs and they were incredibly cold. Not sure how good of a broody hen she is going to be. When candling, I couldn't see much development but she is with a drake so I am assuming they are fertile. I want to incubate her eggs but I have a few questions. She is crested so I know a percentage of the eggs are not viable/will not make it. How long will she continue to lay? Should I go ahead and take the 12 and collect them as she lays them- I'd like to incubate them all at once. Are most of the eggs going to be a loss with the cold weather & the time before the incubation period? Thanks!

I've read a couple threads where people are hatching eggs that were REFRIGERATED for over 2 weeks and they still got some to hatch. So I'd say just go for it. You'll probably get at least some babies if the eggs didn't freeze. I would thin freezing probably would make them non-viable. Now, I am far from an expert (I am on my first incubator hatch right now), so these are just my guesses from what I've read. Maybe someone more experienced will chime in as well.

Back
Top Bottom