duck egg questions

LabMama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
The sticks, VA
So we have a pair of ducks male and female about 6 months old. They have been mating, we discovered today that she has a nest full of eggs about 5 and was sitting on them. My question is can u get baby ducks now? Someone told me they wont hatch until spring & I read on google it only takes about a month. Do you think these eggs could hatch? And if so about when? She wasnt sitting on them this evening when I got home. We are considering an incubator....but we are just all together clueless on these things but we really want some baby ducks. can you guys help me out...i need a ducks for dummies book.

You can hatch eggs all year round. 28 days for most duck breeds or 35 for muscoveys. You main worry would be if it gets really cold in winter where you are as you won't want the eggs to freeze. I would leave them where they are and let the mom hatch them. Maybe she is still laying and not ready to sit yet. When she is ready she will sit and not get up.

thanks you guys for the info like I said my husband and I are clueless and were worried sick about these little eggs lol. Do you think since they are mating that they are fertile? also thanks for the link its very helpful and looks easy

you should be ok as long as she sits on them my group of hens ive got didnt hatch until the snow started coming in the middle of November. So i think the should hatch
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom