Duck Egg Recipes - Thinking Outside the Shell

Our silver Appleyards are amazing, and we've had eggs straight through the winter--although not as many as we'll see in the summer, of course. With egg production ramping back up, we're dusting off our favorite duck egg dinner recipes.

Last night we had one of our favorites: Duck Egg Curry.

View attachment 1699151

I first had this curry while traveling in southeast Asia, so it's not to be mistaken for the Indian egg curries. It's a cinch to make and is delicious (and we think it's attractive as well!). I've served it with rice and without, but our preference now is without rice and served with naan. It goes great with a heaping ginger salad (not a cinch to make, but oh so delicious!).

View attachment 1699154

I often prefer beer with curry, but for wine, you might consider pairing this duck egg curry with a red from Spain or Portugal--something like a rioja or a dão goes well with this tomato-based curry. If you want to go with white, consider a riesling or chardonnay.

I'm not a big recipe guy, and I generally make things up as I go, but here is a rough template for building this meal:

Hardboil your eggs (1.5 to 2 pp is good).
Heat some peanut oil in a large skillet until it shimmers.
Add some turmeric to the oil and stir.
Add your peeled hardboiled eggs and fry on all sides (you want the eggs to blister and take on that gorgeous turmeric color!).
Remove the eggs, cut in half and allow to rest on a towel.
Pour out all but a little oil (you can reserve it for use later).
Return pan to heat.
Add about four shallots (minced) and two or three garlic cloves (minced).
Stir until they become translucent.
Add 7 or 8 tomatoes (diced) and chili powder to taste.
Cook down (~10 minutes).
Add some fish sauce.
Add long thin slices of 2-3 chili peppers.
Nestle the eggs (cut down down) into the sauce and turn up the heat (~2-3 minutes).

If you have the time and inclination, definitely fry some shallots for a topping. As a bonus, the reserved shallot oil will make your ginger salad amazing!

Do you have a favorite duck egg recipe that proves that eggs are not just for breakfast anymore? If so, we'd love to hear about them!
this looks fantastic. I am making it when I get more eggs. Where's the ginger salad recipe?

Back
Top Bottom