Duck egg sales!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GrannySue, Nov 2, 2009.

1. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

Finally! Someone appreciates my runners' eggs! [​IMG]

I don't eat a lot of eggs, certainly not enough to use up 1 1/2 doz/week.
    I took some to the food bank and I don't think they were very popular. Workers looked a bit sceptical and I've heard that most clients are a bit nervous about trying new things.
    Then I asked a chef in town who tries to use as much local food as he can in his menus. He was delighted! Taking another dozen into him today with the proviso that when he put it on the menu I get to try them!

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    cool [​IMG] , on a side note , did you see the torch get lit ?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Try to find someone who bakes, duck eggs are much better for baking than chicken eggs. Wish we didn't have the state of Washington between us (I'm in Portland, Oregon) or I'd be a customer until I get my own ducks (February or March) and they start laying. I haven't found anyone yet who sells fresh duck eggs. The Asian markets I've checked only sell balut or salted eggs, no fresh.

I've lost one future customer, she & her husband are moving to Illinois by the end of the month.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Try a bakery, most bakers that have studied in a formal setting know about duck eggs. I used to trade duck eggs for fried cakes cupcapes or muffins!

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I too have been trying to find more customers for my duck eggs. I'm getting 3-4 dozen a week from my Khakis & Pekins. We think they're deeeeeeelicious, but also find that many people are hesitant to try something new, and predisposed to be squeemish. "Duck eggs?" they say, "Can you really eat duck eggs?"

Just keep advertising in all the likely spots, health food stores, places that sell gourmet baking supplies, etc. Look for local specialty bakers who might already know & appreciate duck eggs. I've been posting ads online trying to persuade folks to try duck eggs for their holiday baking.

I recently met a woman who was told she has an allergy to chicken eggs & that she should try eating duck eggs instead. She didn't know where she might find them until another chicken-egg customer referred her to me.

7. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I once tried to ask a bakery if they would like farm fresh eggs and they gave me some song and dance about only using eggs from a government inspected source for liability and safety reasons. I thought that was very backwards thinking. I'd be more likely to get sick off of old supermarket eggs than my own fresh eggs.

But asian customers/markets are the best for selling duck eggs. At least until duck eggs catch on. It sometimes annoys me about how afraid people are of them. I once baked a cake with duck eggs and brought it to work. It was delicious, very moist and spongy. One person wouldn't eat it just because it was made with duck eggs. The same person hunts and eats animals of varying ages that could also possibly be diseased. I always figured hunters ate everything. I guess I was wrong.

The funny thing is if all those people, that are afraid of duck eggs, were raised on them exclusively, then they'd be all weird about chicken eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by