Duck egg, storage and handling.

AKnewbie

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Our Daisy has started laying one egg a day.
With our chickens, they lay fairly clean eggs so I just collect them and refrigerate them.

While Daisy's eggs aren't as poopy as the first 2 that she laid, there is still some sort of dirt (poop?) coating on it.
Do I wash it? If so, does water temperature matter?
Do I want to refrigerate the egg if I am not eating it that same day?

I wash mine if they are dirty - if you choose to do so (some folks do not wash until just before using), make sure to use warm water - water that is much warmer than the ambiant temp of the egg. If you use cool water, the bacteria from the dirt/poo can get drawn into the egg via the pores. I suspect there is much less chance of this with duck eggs as there is which chicken eggs, but why take a chance? They need not be refrigerated...I even have customers who ask that I do not refrigerate their weekly dozen at all, so their oldest eggs have been sitting out for a full week. (Of course I don't do this in the summer in extreme heat.)

we wash them and put them away in their cartons. Keeping deep hay or straw that is changed regularly will help keep the eggs cleaner. A cat litter box with pine shavings and hay or straw piled on top is a duck favorite around here.

Thank you both.

CelticOaksFarm, when you say that the cat litter box with straw or hay is a favorite, are you referring to the ducks using that as a nesting box?

Back
Top Bottom