1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck egg? The size of a marble and perfectly round...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Mar 24, 2012.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Found this near when I dumped the bedding from the kennel my Bumblefoot Queen's kennel yesterday. The other ducks had been in the area as well. I didn't get an egg from Mildred yesterday, so very well could be from her, but it is perfectly round and very rough shell. [​IMG] Shell is very hard, not soft at all. Have been given them oyster shell. Should I be worried? It was outside on the ground, so it's possible it is from someone else (another bird), but I would doubt it.

2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Shouldnt be anything to worry about... I have had ducks that will randomly lay "fart" eggs.

3. ducklover700

ducklover700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Utah
    Could it possibly be that your duck laid an egg earlier that morning, and she produced a fluke 2nd egg that day? could explain why its so small.

4. FarmGirl1985

FarmGirl1985 New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    I have had a couple ducks lay small eggs like that when they first began laying eggs. Put a flashlight beam through it and see it there is a yolk or not - most of mine that small were only whites, no yolks. I still get them from time to time, but this is the first year my girls are laying (got them back in June 2011) :)

5. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    [​IMG]

Yolk or something. Pardon the crumbs - I cracked it open in a plate with the remnants of a coffee cake. Couldn't see anything with a flashlight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by