Duck eggs after antibiotics.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Buckbuckbeck, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Buckbuckbeck

Buckbuckbeck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Good morning all! I was wondering if anyone could help me. I had a 7.5 month old duck on antibiotics for about a week and a day. She stopped laying prior to the antibiotics due to injury. Her antibiotics were stopped on Saturday morning. (Last does as prescribed ) This morning (5 days later) she started laying. How long after the antibiotics are done can we start to eat the eggs again?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC! What antibiotic?

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  3. Buckbuckbeck

Buckbuckbeck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Enrofloxacin .75 ml 2x a day orally 8 days and vetropolycin HC eye ointment 2 to 3 times a day 5 days.
    The eye ointment she has been off for 6 days. The oral antibiotics she has been off for 5 days

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Enrofloxacin is banned for use in poultry used for food, so if you go by that, you should never eat the eggs or meat of a bird that's been treated with it, but if you look up actual withdrawal info, I think it takes 5 days for the drug to not show up in eggs. I use enrofloxacin here and don't worry about it.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by