duck eggs for eating

Kacey52

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
How long are eggs good in the fridge? I have a large supply of eggs and I want to make sure they are still good before giving them away. I did the float test on some of what I think are the older eggs and they just barely started to stand up. According to the site I found if the egg lays flat it's fresh, if it stands up it's still good but about a week old, and if it floats it's bad. I have friends on facebook telling me to throw out anything over a week old. What are your opinions?

Mine stay good at least a month sometimes more. If they are older I float test them. But remember the chicken eggs you buy at the store are a month old. I have four hens and all lay daily so I also have a bunch of eggs.

Ok, these should still be good then. I'll just float test any I'm unsure about. Thank you for your reply!!

Yep, try the sink test.. when they start to go upright they are older but still usable if it floats, toss it! over a week old lol yeah, they'd die if they knew how old those eggs they just bought at the store were.
roll.png

Haha that's what I thought!! I have 2 female mallards that each lay an egg daily and I have 42 in my fridge. I float tested a few of the oldest ones (I'm not exactly sure which are oldest/newest but I have a general idea) and it still laid flat, maybe barely starting to stand up. We need to start eating them but honestly I'm still a little squeamish about them. If I eat eggs it's egg beaters from a carton lol. I know, I need to get over it. My 2 youngest kids and my husband have eaten them but it weirds me out a little hahaha

Haha that's what I thought!! I have 2 female mallards that each lay an egg daily and I have 42 in my fridge. I float tested a few of the oldest ones (I'm not exactly sure which are oldest/newest but I have a general idea) and it still laid flat, maybe barely starting to stand up. We need to start eating them but honestly I'm still a little squeamish about them. If I eat eggs it's egg beaters from a carton lol. I know, I need to get over it. My 2 youngest kids and my husband have eaten them but it weirds me out a little hahaha
Try baking with them they make awesome brownies. and with that many eggs you could have a bake sale.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom