Duck eggs hatching!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenz101, Nov 11, 2011.

1. chickenz101

chickenz101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    I have had the first egg, moving in the egg and making noise, but not cracking the egg however it has stopped for a day and half and i think it may not of been able to get out! [​IMG] But i now have a crack in one of the others and is there a chance that the other one is alive and that this one will make it??? :L [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. chickenz101

Jul 19, 2011
    should i crack the otherone open a bit? They are due in 1 day!!?!!!

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    If they are not actually over Day 28 yet then don't do anything at all. [​IMG]

The movement of the eggs comes from the duckling positioning itself correctly. Plus, a lot of muscle twitching is happening as the duckling does things like breaking through the air cell. Don't worry if nothing much happens on the surface till tomorrow. Watch for the duckling making a tiny hole in the shell. It can look like just a little tiny bump at first.

4. chickenz101

Jul 19, 2011
    there is a small hole and i can see the duckling, i dont want it to dry out, because its not long cracked it, and will be tired and wont start again soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do i help???????

5. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    No no, don't help [​IMG] After they make the first hole or crack it takes up to 24 hours to make the next move. It's not just because they are tired and resting - during this time they are still absorbing yolk and blood into their bodies.

How long has the hole/crack been there?

What is your humidity level? Should be around 70% Relative Humidity.

6. Nu Chix To Cash

Nu Chix To Cash Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    I agree w/70%. I hatched duck eggs this summer and mine took about 3 days from pip to hatch. It was VERY stressful. Depending on the type of incubator your have you can do more harm then good to the other ducklings if you try to help this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by