Duck eggs soon to hatch?

Pics
It can take ducklings 40+ hours to start zipping after the first pip. Many times they make multiple pips, near the first one, as they work their way into zipping position.

Pips can be hard to notice, shine your light across the eggs from all angles looking for bumps on the shell.

Here’s another pic of a zip. Once they start zipping, they shouldn’t stop more than a few minutes at a time. They hit the shell, rotate a little, then hit the shell again, right next to the last spot, which causes the end to break off, once they get all the way around. If they stop for more than 10-15 minutes at a time — once they fully start zipping — I break the cap off for them.
View attachment 2033914
Great explanation thank you!! I will keep my eye out for the pipping and zipping. Thanks for the tips on the timing as well. Much appreciated :)

Hi all no pipping yet the for the eggs. Should humidity be changed at all for hatching? I have it at 65 and sometimes creeps up to 70. Thanks

I do it too. We either are all crazy or its normal. Have either of you ever set up a makeshift bed next to your incubator? I've done that twice when I've had chicks that need help hatching or are stuck. I was assisting one of them all day and it only had a little bit of yolk left, so i slept next to it and helped it out when I heard creeping around 1 a.m. My family thinks I'm nuts 😂

Back
Top Bottom