Duck eggs soon to hatch?

Sloshy ones are almost always quitters. Good luck. Getting a real incubator would be your best bet. Does anyone you know have one you could borrow?
Aw man... yeah there is a couple of sloshy ones. I will order an incubator ASAP. Did you see the first picture on this thread by any chance? The two I circled are the ones that seemed sloshy. Is there an incubator you recommend? And based on the pictures about how long until hatch?

I have the Magicfly Janoel 12. I reccomend it. It's pretty cheap as far as incubators go and I can help walk you through it. It's hatched almost 200 birds for me and that was just last year. Are you keeping any ducklings that hatch? They're adorable. I'd guess maybe 5 days until hatch. It you tip them and look along the air cell, can you see any overlap? Like a tiny grey line in between the bird and the cell? That usually means 4 more days for all the ones I've seen. It's kinda hard to explain how to check. How long have you had these eggs? Sloshy ones you could may have to pull depending on how long you've had them. Sloshy means rotting. They are usually all gooey and could never hatch even if they were alive.

I think the egg with the whiter air cell on the last page looks totally normal. The yellowy air cell one looks not as good to me. Is that the one that moved for you? If it is it's probably fine. Put a check mark or x or something on all the eggs that have movement. Do question marks on the others. Tap on the egg, whistle, flicker the light, get them all excited. Give them a minute and see if it moves. If it doesn't, do a question mark. If it does, x or check mark. Let me know how many move. Any more candling pics too would be good to use as an age estimate. Don't drop any eggs though. I did that once and it was sad.

Aw man... yeah there is a couple of sloshy ones. I will order an incubator ASAP. Did you see the first picture on this thread by any chance? The two I circled are the ones that seemed sloshy. Is there an incubator you recommend? And based on the pictures about how long until hatch?
I have the Magicfly Janoel 12. I reccomend it. It's pretty cheap as far as incubators go and I can help walk you through it. It's hatched almost 200 birds for me and that was just last year. Are you keeping any ducklings that hatch? They're adorable. I'd guess maybe 5 days until hatch. It you tip them and look along the air cell, can you see any overlap? Like a tiny grey line in between the bird and the cell? That usually means 4 more days for all the ones I've seen. It's kinda hard to explain how to check. How long have you had these eggs? Sloshy ones you could may have to pull depending on how long you've had them. Sloshy means rotting. They are usually all gooey and could never hatch even if they were alive.
Thank you for the recommendation! I will look into that ASAP. As far as the keeping them, I guess it depends on how many hatch. I live on a lake so ideally I was thinking after 8 weeks to release them..? I know that you have to take into account various things when releasing them back into the wild but I would like to have them in our lake. If only a couple make it I would probably keep them:) I already know I’m going to cal in love with them! I’ve had the eggs since this past Saturday (feb 15). They’ve been in the homemade incubator since then. Have you ever tried a homemade incubator? Thank you for all of your insight so far!

I think the egg with the whiter air cell on the last page looks totally normal. The yellowy air cell one looks not as good to me. Is that the one that moved for you? If it is it's probably fine. Put a check mark or x or something on all the eggs that have movement. Do question marks on the others. Tap on the egg, whistle, flicker the light, get them all excited. Give them a minute and see if it moves. If it doesn't, do a question mark. If it does, x or check mark. Let me know how many move. Any more candling pics too would be good to use as an age estimate. Don't drop any eggs though. I did that once and it was sad.
No it was the more yellow picture that seemed sloshy. There has been no smell. I will do some more candling and get better pictures!

I think the ducks would love your lake! If you left out food I'm sure they'd stick around. I have tried a homemade incubator, but I never had any luck with it. I messed around with it so much but despite being wrapped in blankets, ventilation holes, different bulbs etc. I never hatched a thing. There were so many fluctuations. After all of the tests, and my eggs still dying I couldn't bear killing the poor things and just gave up. When I got my Janoel though, my luck totally changed! I had 100 percent hatch rates for my first 4 hatches, and I even had some dodgy eggs in there. There were 12 chicken eggs in the first hatch, 9 duck eggs in the next hatch, 34 guinea eggs in 3rd batch, and 14 duck eggs in the 4th hatch. Literally every one hatched. The next batch was 7 duck eggs. I unfortunately wasn't able to be home on their hatching day, and one of them was maplositioned and died before I got home. The other 6 made it just fine though. The yellowy egg in your pic looks a little off to me, but time will tell. I don't think any will explode, I've had some spoiled eggs last an awful long time in there, and all I got was some goo on the outside of the shell. If you see any goo or smell something strange definitely inspect them and find the culprit. I'll check back tomorrow. :) Crossing my fingers for you and your babies.

I think the ducks would love your lake! If you left out food I'm sure they'd stick around. I have tried a homemade incubator, but I never had any luck with it. I messed around with it so much but despite being wrapped in blankets, ventilation holes, different bulbs etc. I never hatched a thing. There were so many fluctuations. After all of the tests, and my eggs still dying I couldn't bear killing the poor things and just gave up. When I got my Janoel though, my luck totally changed! I had 100 percent hatch rates for my first 4 hatches, and I even had some dodgy eggs in there. There were 12 chicken eggs in the first hatch, 9 duck eggs in the next hatch, 34 guinea eggs in 3rd batch, and 14 duck eggs in the 4th hatch. Literally every one hatched. The next batch was 7 duck eggs. I unfortunately wasn't able to be home on their hatching day, and one of them was maplositioned and died before I got home. The other 6 made it just fine though. The yellowy egg in your pic looks a little off to me, but time will tell. I don't think any will explode, I've had some spoiled eggs last an awful long time in there, and all I got was some goo on the outside of the shell. If you see any goo or smell something strange definitely inspect them and find the culprit. I'll check back tomorrow. :) Crossing my fingers for you and your babies.
Well you just convinced me. Ordering it on amazon. Thank you for your advice! Very appreciated. I candled all of them like you said, and so far 5 are sloshy, 5 visibly look good, but no movement, and finally 6 with movement :) i numbered them all and write down observations. In this stage should I be doing anything special? Since they will be hatching soon possibly? I have some questions on a few of the 5 that look good but no movement. Some are different. I’ll reply separately for each egg. Thanks again for any information you can provide me.! Have a great night 😌

Well you just convinced me. Ordering it on amazon. Thank you for your advice! Very appreciated. I candled all of them like you said, and so far 5 are sloshy, 5 visibly look good, but no movement, and finally 6 with movement :) i numbered them all and write down observations. In this stage should I be doing anything special? Since they will be hatching soon possibly? I have some questions on a few of the 5 that look good but no movement. Some are different. I’ll reply separately for each egg. Thanks again for any information you can provide me.! Have a great night 😌

Back
Top Bottom