Duck eggs under mama, is this a pip?

emileexepic

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2015
China Spring, Tx
Resized_20200331_171147.jpeg

So is this a pip? I've got two eggs under a muscovy that look like this out of a clutch of 15-20 there's growth in the others as well. There's just two with what I think are pips. I haven't had eggs hatch since I was about 6 years old and I didn't expect this batch. I honestly thought mama duck was a muscovy/mallard mule because she's pretty small for a muscovy.

My eyesight is not what it used to be. If those "pips" bulge outward they are pip marks. If they push inward they are not pip marks but damage caused, most likely, by the hen's toe nails.

Okay thank you for your response, I'm not certain myself. My sister is with the nest and sent the pic, if it's damage, might the duckling still survive? Like you can see the whole baby through the shell in person, cant get it to show as well on camera but if would be such a huge bummer if we lost the baby this far along. I know it happens all the time, but it still sucks.

That looks like damage marks. They definitely aren't pips. Maybe candle it quickly if you really want to know? It might not have injured it too bad. I would just leave them be for a few days and let them do their thing.

Okay thank you, I just want them to hatch SO BAD I knew we were probably jumping the gun a little... as I mentioned it was a surprise to us that she was even fertile because I thought she was a mule. So we weren't exactly counting days but you can see the eggs are full without candling at this point so it's gotta be any day now. I'll leave her be and wait it out. Thanks for the opinions and advice.

View attachment 2070341
So is this a pip? I've got two eggs under a muscovy that look like this out of a clutch of 15-20 there's growth in the others as well. There's just two with what I think are pips. I haven't had eggs hatch since I was about 6 years old and I didn't expect this batch. I honestly thought mama duck was a muscovy/mallard mule because she's pretty small for a muscovy.
They can't live without their mother, so they'll take 50-60 days before they leave and become independent. The nest is abandoned, although the family may continue to use it for brooding and roosting if it is close to the feeding place.

Back
Top Bottom