Duck eggs were 4 days upside down before they arrived

Du Vey

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2019
I ordered 16 runner duck eggs and when they arrived (4th day after being laid), they were all upside down. I candled some of them and the air sacs were at the pointy end. I was going to incubate them tonight before I discovered this - the parcels were rested for 24 hours before I opened them... So I’ve quickly put them pointy side down in egg cartons for now. Will they be ok? How long do I have? They were laid on Monday 5th April, I discovered this on the Friday 9th

All you can do is try. :fl The air cells should reattach but you should still tip the eggs to a 45 degree angle back and forth at least 3 times a day as turning the eggs is essential for the formation of certain membranes that support the growth and development of the embryos.

This article explains it in full if you are interested: https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/the-biology-behind-egg-turning

Good luck and I really hope you are able to hatch some ducklings.

All you can do is try. :fl The air cells should reattach but you should still tip the eggs to a 45 degree angle back and forth at least 3 times a day as turning the eggs is essential for the formation of certain membranes that support the growth and development of the embryos.

This article explains it in full if you are interested: https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/the-biology-behind-egg-turning

Good luck and I really hope you are able to hatch some ducklings.
Thank you... I really hope so.

If you have a turner that holds them up not on their side you can probably get some to hatch.
I don’t, but I’ve cut up 2 cardboard egg boxes as 11 of the eggs are like it, and put them in there slightly tilted, and set my alarm to remind me to turn them to the other side...
I have a Janoel 24 incubator, it normally does all the turning... so I’ve put the other 5 eggs between the racks so they get turned, and the other eggs sat in the open boxes in the incubator with the racks removed... yikes! Fingers crossed. I’m hoping after a few days if everything settles, that I will be able to lay the eggs down normally like the others.

Back
Top Bottom