Duck eggs with no air cell

Jo smith

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2021
I'm looking for advice if anyone can help me, I have 6 pekin duck eggs in a brinsea mini advance which are 14 days old, they are all moving well and have lots of veins but only 2 out of the 6 have air cells, is this a problem at this stage ? My humidity is around 52% should I reduce it ? I'm nervous because this is my second batch of eggs and only 2 from the previous batch developed but then died at around this stage, I had a cheap incubator tho so assumed that was the reason 🤷‍♂️ .... should I be doing anything ? The eggs are on an automatic turner but they don't all turn how they should .... any advice would be appreciated 🙏

Now I'm no duck man, I'm a chicken man. That said duck eggs incubate only 6 to 7 days longer than a chickens. Sure a chicken egg may not have much of an air cell at day 7 (interpolate for hatch difference) but they should have some and on their way to growing well.

Unless a veteran duck hatcher comes along stating otherwise I'd lower humidity. Try 40% RH and candle again in 5 to 7 days. That would give plenty of time to adjust again if needed. Think 35- 40% RH at this point in the game would bring you in to right size.

Do not decrease the humidity. I’d amp it up to 55% and I found when I was hatching they’d have a little air sac and then it’d grow. On lockdown half the egg was an air sac for me. Could you post pics? Here are what mine looked like: D5780AB5-94DB-42A9-ABB7-F1540A790898.jpeg the really light spot is the air sac

Do not decrease the humidity. I’d amp it up to 55% and I found when I was hatching they’d have a little air sac and then it’d grow. On lockdown half the egg was an air sac for me. Could you post pics? Here are what mine looked like:View attachment 2506238the really light spot is the air sac
I've got a video excuse the partner talking

And is the automatic turner for chicks? Because you need to fully rotate the eggs 3-5 times a day. Chick turners just rock them back and forth but duck eggs need to be fully rotated. So that very well could’ve been the issue.

Well it says suitable for duck eggs and chicken eggs, I have it set to rotate for 20 seconds every hour at the mo but its just a bit intermittent on which eggs dont turn fully, thats the highest setting I can go

Back
Top Bottom