DUCK EGGS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by twotmama, Mar 7, 2009.

1. twotmama

twotmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Help I have found twenty one eggs in a nest should I leave them or try to incubate them. I have no broody hens or ducks do I just throw them out they obviously have been intentionally laying in one spot, but what do I do?

2. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Incubate them. Get some ducklings!!! Goodluck, -Jay

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:you should candle them to see if they are fertile for not. then you should incubate the fertile ones

4. twotmama

Feb 4, 2009
    How can I tell if their fertile this soon I know to candle them after eight days in incubation, but you you give me any tips.

5. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I may be wrong here, but I don't believe you can candle the eggs and see if they are fertile, unless that have been incubated for a certain number of day's. You can how ever crack the egg open and look for a bulls eye, but then you wouldn't be able to incubate them. If you have a drake then there is a very good chance they are fertile and I would put them in the bator, If you want babies that is.

6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    [​IMG] double post

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  7. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    [​IMG] double post

8. twotmama

Feb 4, 2009
    Have several drakes and want babies, but is there a possibility that they will eventually set on them; if I move them will it ruin my chances of one going broody. Do they just last a bunch of eggs and set when it suits them or is it to early for ducks to set. I want babies so bad and there are 21 eggs it feels like such a shame to leave them, but at the same time is there any sense in leaving them? I need advice!!!

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What breed of duck are we talking about here. Some will not go broody typically and to leave them would be a waste.

10. twotmama

Feb 4, 2009
    The one that is more than likely the layer is solid black with white speckles on her hed or possibly a kaki colored duck not great with species. The green head mallard its the female of the breed I think. Last year they did the same thing I found over fouty eggs and no hen in site, they free range. Would it help if I lock up all my ducks or will it just stress them to do so, I raised all of these from babies and they have always ran freely, but they have never set.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by