Duck Emergency - Attack Wounds (Graffic Pics)

I would start with a warm water bath, rinsing well to remove ANY comtaminates from the wounds.
Then isolate the birds from others and from any noise/distraction. Provide feed & water with a cap full of apple cider vinegar. Provide warmth from a heating pad or other source.

If the bleeding has stopped, you might apply a little ointment to the wounds with a Q-tip...just a little. The bird will try to peck at any excess.
If the wounds start to stay wet or ooze then they have to see a vet asap. If they are flesh wounds only then keeping them clean and the bird quiet will allow the bird to heal itself.

Warmth, isolation and above avg feed (fresh greens, vitamins) will do as much as anything. If they become infected time is short. Ducks won't act sick until they are ready to fall over.
Good luck.

What did this? a dog?

I know this looks bad, but you'd be surprised what a duck can handle. You can handle this too. I had my ducks get attacked by a loose dog. He took baseball size chunks out of the backs of my birds. I thought they were goners, but they pulled through!
What happened to your beauty? Please describe further to get best treatment advice. It looks like some skin and feathers missing?
Here's what to do. Get BLUE KOTE. Wash off the area with warm saline water and pat dry. Clean area thoroughly and clip off any hanging skin that won't reattach. Spray the affected area with bluekote. The stuff is amazing, it's an antibiotic spray. Only problem with it is that it will dye everything, including the feathers. My ducks were blue/purple until their next molt but at least they were alive and well.
The patient needs to be kept in clean warm environment until healed and fed lots of peas. :)
Broken wings or legs I'm afraid I don't know how to help.

Should I use an antibiotic? Can I get one to put in their water or feed? Will chicken vitamins work? I know I saw some at the farm supply store.

I agree that some kind of topical antibacterial like Blu Kote or alushield, and I'd seriously consider oral antibiotics as well. That much exposure to germs poses quite a risk. It's not a sure thing, and if the ducks can be kept clean enough and given vitamins - yes, poultry vitamins should be good - then they may do just fine.

Also be careful of flies - they'll lay eggs in wounds (ick, ick) so keep them where there won't be insects adding to their troubles.

I hope peace and health with quickly be restored to your home.

Thanks to all. I didn't think about a duck bath. Yes, I am 4mo new into raising ducks. Children, sheep & dogs I can handle for the most part. A good long soak in a warm bath (with 2 water changes) really seemed to help perk them up. DH went to the farm store which did not have the suggested wound care products, but did have Vetericyn (antiseptic, antimicrobial,ect) spray. We sprayed the wounds with the Vetericyn & settled them into the mud room. The least severe duck even started quacking (talking) to the other duck when they were settled in for the night.

The dog RamRod is our newly adopted Hybrid Boston Terrier/Min Pin. I don't think he was really trying to kill them or he would have. We take him out on a leash when the birds are free ranging or put him in the back yard fence. He loves to "play chase" and can get to rough. He & our lionhead buck play hide & seek (always under our supervision). He knows to sit or lay & wait when Diego is sitting on a lap until Diego is ready to run. We now have to decide how we are going to keep the the birds safely away from RamRod.

I will update to let all know how Screaming Monkey (Swedish Blue) & Apep (Blue Runner) are doing.

Glad to hear that they are doing better. I'd keep them isolated until the wounds are fairly well closed up. It may take weeks to see some plumage return but the skin will heal over just as human hide grows back.

Allowing the bird to relax and focus its energy on healing is 90% of the battle with injuries. Keeping them in a "hospital pen" thats very clean and free of stress speeds up the healing process. Providing warmth to aid the body in healing is a must. Ducks can redirect blood flow to areas that are too cold, so if the duck is wounded and too cold the blood flow may not be adequate to the wound area. This could allow infection to set in decaying tissue that will lead to death. You sound as if you;re willing to do whats necessary, so just follow the basics, heat, food, cleanliness and quiet.
Basically the same that you;d do for a human that had open wounds. The vinegar in the water helps kill bacteria in the stomach and assist digestion from what I'm told. I have nursed sick/weak ducks back to perfect health using this formula.

Good luck...

(screaming monkey...I love that ! )
I recently started calling my big drake Ferris....whenever he gets into something..( Ferris Bueller) Buddy (Ferris) is good for starting something and letting his mate get in trouble...

Back
Top Bottom